New Here (Sort Of)

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
pensive_pigeon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Here (Sort Of)

Post by pensive_pigeon » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:00 pm

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum. I actually used to post here a long time ago (ca.2008), but I don't recall my login so I figured I would start fresh. I've been really into Jaguars ever since I bought my first one, a sherwood green CIJ, back in 2006. Over the years I have owned 6 different jaguars, 3 vintage and 3 reissues.

About 10 years ago I sold all my guitars and amps to help pay for college and was out of the electric guitar game for a long time. Then in 2018 I was at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville and saw a ratty-looking jaguar hanging on the wall. The finish was all beat up and it was covered in stickers and the wiring had been modified. It turned out to be a '62 AVRI and it played and sounded fantastic and at $650, the price was right. I ended up refinishing it in holographic metal flake over a black basecoat and re-did the electronics. More recently I swapped out the stock pickups for some hand-wound ones and put in the Descendant vibrato. Here are some pictures showing the metal flake (it's pretty hard to capture well in photos).

Then a couple of months ago I started itching to get a vintage jaguar. I have so many fond memories of the green '66 I used to have and I regret deeply ever selling it. I tried to buy a refinished seafoam '63 on Reverb, but that fell through and then I ended up getting a refinished '64 on ebay and it arrived last week. I'm still getting used to the guitar, but I think it might be the best jaguar I've owned yet. The neck is fantastic with the finish nicely worn and very smooth feeling. Plus the maple is delightfully flamed. The decal is a little screwy and the body was refinished, so I'm planning on painting it seafoam green. I'll swap out the pickguard to a mint one. Here are some photos:

Here are the two together:

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: New Here (Sort Of)

Post by Telliot » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:35 pm

Welcome (back)! :)
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

pensive_pigeon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New Here (Sort Of)

Post by pensive_pigeon » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:22 am

Thanks!