New here. Hello!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
LhudeSing
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New here. Hello!

Post by LhudeSing » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:45 am

Hello all. First post here. I've recently taken the plunge on a Jaguar. In the electric realm I've been mostly a tele/esquire/junior person my whole life. I picked up the Jaguar not only to add some different sounds to the collection, but also to put myself in the position of having to adjust my playing to the Jaguar's particularities: to negotiate the 24" scale, mute, floating bridge, trem, and exotic switchery.

The first challenge (I think) will be intonation, because of the trem and short scale. I detune quite a bit. Things can get squirrelly. even at regular Fender scale. How will a Jaguar take to 12-52 strings?

The guitar is vintage, but very much a player. So I don't feel bad about mods: new tuners and a Mastery bridge for starters. I'll leave the original tremolo, at least for now.

I'm a big fan of Mastery. But I've just read that it makes it impossible to use the Jaguar's mute. True? Any suggestions?

Anyway, I'm looking forward getting my hands on the guitar and getting happily lost in its strangeness. --- Richard

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New here. Hello!

Post by JSett » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:50 pm

Hey!

Congrats on the new guitar - you should post a picture for us to have a drool over, especially if it's a vintage one - and welcome to a world of weirdness with offsets.

Firstly, 12-52 is about perfect on a Jaguar. You need bigger strings for the tension to feel right on the shorter scale. I personally use 12-54 on my '64 Jaguar and it feels perfect in Eb tuning. 11's would be the equivalent for E-Standard. Some people get away with light strings on these but I have no idea how...anything less than 11 feels like spaghetti to me! Intonation is nothing to worry about either, it's nothing special regards the vibrato.

If the tuners are original, they almost certainly will be fine and not need changing. 99% of the time all the vintage ones need is a good service and an alternative bridge...everything else is very good quality.

The Mastery is not compatible with the mute, correct. If you do want to keep it on there (and most of us just take them off anyway) then the Staytrem bridge is the one you want. Depending where you are you could make good use of the £ being weak at the moment and order one up.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New here. Hello!

Post by GreenKnee » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:21 am

Welcome!

You can get a mute to work with a Mastery it just takes some adjusting (Dremel) and some setup work.
I have it on my AO Jag:

Couple of resources to help you out:
https://guitar.com/guides/diy-workshop/ ... th-a-mute/

https://youtu.be/Ubkr1CmShkY