New here... Jaguar tele mix

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
heatdev
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New here... Jaguar tele mix

Post by heatdev » Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Hello folks,

I'm a lefty, and I had my two favorite guitars stolen some years ago. I now realize I can't afford to replace either of them. So I thought I'd make the best of both worlds into one.

I was originally thinking of a tele body, with a 65 Jaguar neck. With the rear contours of the Jaguar. All on the scale of a Jaguar. Then I started hearing about intonation issues. Playability. Then I looked at warmouth guitars, and got even more confused. I don't really have money to waste. I'm willing to commit, if this is a real possibility. Have a jazzcaster over there, just surely cool, but not the right scale. I'd like to hear from people who have more knowledge and experience than I do. A friend is telling me to just go out and buy the affinity telling tele. But that's not it. But for the money, is it close enough? 8 don't think so. Thoughts please!

Alex

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New here... Jaguar tele mix

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:20 pm

heatdev wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:59 pm
Hello folks,

I'm a lefty, and I had my two favorite guitars stolen some years ago. I now realize I can't afford to replace either of them. So I thought I'd make the best of both worlds into one.

I was originally thinking of a tele body, with a 65 Jaguar neck. With the rear contours of the Jaguar. All on the scale of a Jaguar. Then I started hearing about intonation issues. Playability. Then I looked at warmouth guitars, and got even more confused. I don't really have money to waste. I'm willing to commit, if this is a real possibility. Have a jazzcaster over there, just surely cool, but not the right scale. I'd like to hear from people who have more knowledge and experience than I do. A friend is telling me to just go out and buy the affinity telling tele. But that's not it. But for the money, is it close enough? 8 don't think so. Thoughts please!

Alex
A lefty Telemaster body with a lefty 24 3/4” conversion neck, Tele bridge, and Jag neck pickup would be one approach that wouldn’t require a lot of customization.

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shigginpit » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your guitars, hope you find something nice to replace them!
offset since 1994.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:59 pm

I'm not quite clear on this - do you have a '65 Jaguar neck you're hoping to use?

A Jaguar neck heel will fit in a Tele neck heel rout, just with gaps at the square corners that could be covered by an appropriately-route pickguard.

But the scale lengths doesn't match a standard Tele body, so you'd need something a little customized.

However, not as customized as you'd imagine. If you get a Tele body without bridge holes routed, you could easily mount a top-loader type bridge in just the right spot. It's easy to do the math and measure out the distance, as long as you're confident with your alignment skills (or get a tech to install it who is).

Alternatively, like marqueemoon said, a 24.75" conversion neck will drop onto any standard Tele body. 24.75" is Gibson scale length, but it's also exactly halfway in between a Tele (25.5") and Jaguar (24"), so that might be the ideal "hybrid" arrangement.

Personally, to complete the hybrid concept, I'd go with a Jaguar neck pickup and a Tele bridge pickup. Best of both worlds. I like Jaguar neck pickups more than Tele neck pickups, and the reverse for the bridge, but maybe you've got other thoughts on the matter.

You could also get a custom body built like you're describing. Some builders like Guitarform (Deed_Poll on OSG) do customized shapes like that, so a Tele body with a belly cut and/or forearm contour (the two comfort cuts on a Jag) routed with the bridge placement matching a 24" Jaguar neck would probably be right up his alley. I'd ask for the Jaguar neck pickup and a pickguard made to match all that, but that's just me.

So you do have plenty of options if you want to make this build happen.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.