Hi, I'm new to the neighborhood!!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hi, I'm new to the neighborhood!!

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Hey there everyone, my name's Tim. I'm 26 and from Dayton, Ohio. I just signed up to the site to talk with fellow owners of guitars with offset bodies. I myself own an Olympic White 1996 MIJ Jaguar with a tortoise shell pickguard. I'm in the process of customizing it. I've already put a buzz-stop to eliminate the bridge buzzes and rattles. I've put new tuners and a second string tree on it. I've also upgraded the pickups to a matching set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound Jaguar pickups. I'm currently trying to figure out a three-way switch conversion for it...a topic I will post when I'm done here. I also own two Strats, a Mexican and a Squire, along with an Ibanez AW-100 Artwood acoustic. The Mexican Strat is my oldest guitar, I got it for my 19th birthday. It is the one I've customized the most. I've repainted the lame Torino Red to Daphne Blue (all with the aid of sky blue road striping spray paint from Home Depot. It's a perfect ReRanch nitro candidate) It looks terrible for repaints go, but it was my first attempt at painting a guitar body. I plan on repainting it in a decent job in the near future, my current apartment doesn't really have alot of places to spraypaint. I've also put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for Strat in the bridge, and it cooks. This Strat has the craftmanship of an American guitar in a Mexican. Best $175.00 I ever spent... The Squire Strat is actually my fiance's, but she never plays it, so I've decided to give it some love. It is black with a mirror pickguard and black painted headstock. I haven't done any customizing on it....yet;) It sounds good for a Squire... The Ibanez acoustic is a wonderful guitar, I don't need to do anything to it. I just put D'Addario EXP lites on it and keep it humidified.

My amp is a small 15 watt solid state Fender FM15 DSP amp. I plan on upgrading it to a much larger amp soon. I use a few effects... Boss Blues Driver, Purple Flanger and Light Blue Chorus. I use the reverb on the amp to give it some life. I use D'Addario XL 10 strings on all my guitars, the Jaguar having the 10's with the wound G string for added tone. I play mostly for myself. I pretend I'm a rock star in my apartment. I don't know what kind of style I play... I'm very much influenced by Alternative, Indie Rock, Folk, Country, and Classic Rock, 70's/80's metal. Create a genre from that ;) That's about it. Hope to have a good time with you all!

Tim

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Re: Hi, I'm new to the neighborhood!!

Post by tsalwel » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:37 am

I pretend I'm a rock star in my apartment.

;D

welcome !

:)
  d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:34 am

Welcome, Tim.

In terms of your amp upgrade plans, do give the 1970s Silverface Champs a look. They're quite easy to find on ebay for less than $250, come in a version with vibrato (Vibro-Champ), and are nice sounding tube amps. You can also push them to get nice overdrive sounds at apartment (or near-apartment) volume levels. They're nice and tiny and I think you'll agree that they'll blow the pants off of a FM15 DSP.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:59 pm

Thanks for the idea about the Vibro-Champ!! I actually don't own the FM15, it belongs to my old neighbor who used to live across the hall. He moved out of his apartment while I was borrowing it, and let me keep it and pay him whenever. Cut two months later to last Saturday, he calls me up and says he's moving to Utah, and was I still interested in buying his amp? I told him sure (I don't have an amp currently, and $50 for a friend isn't TOO much to give for an actual decent sounding cheapo amp), but I didn't have $50 for him. He decides I can pay him whenever still, and send some money out to him in Utah when I can. He's a great guy...one of the few friends I've made out here in Ohio since I moved here in July.

I'm not so like dead set upon an amp I can play at quiet levels in my apartment, there is such a thing as a volume knob. What would you recommend as a step up from the Vibro-Champ? I know absolutely nothing about vintage Fender amps...

Except that the Bassman is a classic...

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:21 am

yo, great avatar -- "can i have more cowbell in the monitor, please?"

welcome to the forum! (and do try out a Bassman if you get a chance...)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

~*blissedandgone*~
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ~*blissedandgone*~ » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:47 pm

dc wrote:

yo, great avatar -- "can i have more cowbell in the monitor, please?"

welcome to the forum! (and do try out a Bassman if you get a chance...)
Your avatar is awesome also. "Sometime" is the best song on that cd. I've only played the current tweed reissue of the Bassman, which make me all tingly with delight. But it does carry a hefty pricetag, and I'm dirt poor.