Hello, new to offset guitars! Some questions too

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hello, new to offset guitars! Some questions too

Post by FireAarro » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 am

Hi guys! I love Jazzmasters and Jaguars and other offsetty Fenders. My offsets are a Geddy Lee signature Jazz Bass and a recently acquired AVRI '62 Jaguar from the 'Bay. It's olympic white with a 1967 tort guard. It's a fantastic guitar, playability and feel is great. It came with a buzz stop, I took it off and I think I prefer the sound without it. The only real problem I've had with it is that the tremlock button keeps shaking itself loose, I've just taped it in place for now. Also, taking off the neck to adjust the truss rod is a bit of a bother... on my Jazz Bass my dad  installed a spokewheel truss rod adjuster (like on MusicMan instruments), I'm considering doing that to the Jag too. What's stopping me though is having to cut a bit off the '67 pickguard, the guitar also came with a new mint green and new tort guard but the '67 does look nice and I'm scared it might shrink if keep it off the guitar (even though it's not nitrate, I read in another thread here someone's non-nitrate guard shrunk a bit?). Or I could sell the '67 guard and use one of the others. What do you think I should do?

What do folks around here think of the AVRI Jag pickups? How do they compare to boutiques like Novak? Also, can the rhythm circuit be wired to give both pickups in series? I'm wondering if that would produce a more useful tone than the standard rhythm circuit.

I listen to all sorts of music.

I generally play bass, but am spending more and more time on guitars now (much easier to write music on a guitar). I'm bassist in a band which often sounds a bit too much like the Mars Volta. You can check us out here [url=http://]http://www.myspace.com/ursamajorsound[/url]. I have some other bands which are waiting to be started but finding drummers can be a tricky task.

Anyway, looking forward to some good times here :). Pics will come soon, promise.
Last edited by FireAarro on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Hello, new to offset guitars! Some questions too

Post by sookwinder » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:50 am

FireAarro ... welcome  nice to have your here..

some answers, but not to all the questions

I always thought on ly nitrate guards shrunk and I would have thought that by 67 all the nitrate guards would have been used up... but when I started to restore one of my 66 jags, it appeared that the guard had shrunk and I am 99% sure it isn't nitrate

Don't know how the AV jag pups sound when compared to the Novaks, but I have compared them to my mint 66 jaguar and they are quite comparable... brighter than the vintage pups but similar in  colour.  I love the AV pups.  but then they may not be everyones cup of tea...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

offsetwaistbody
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by offsetwaistbody » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:11 am

welcome FireAarro...
i would have to say keep the '67 guard as is. can i ask why you want to have an adjusting wheel for the truss rod? are you having problems with the neck or maybe you change string guages regularly or something?
anyway... we'd all love to see some photos of your jag and particularly the '67 tort guard.  8)

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 am

If you take the old scratchplate off, just screw it to a piece of board, like ply or something. It won't shrink any more than it would have on the guitar. I think they shrink faster in the warmth as well, so you might like to find a cool part of the house to store it in.

But, yeah, in your position I'd probably just leave it on the guitar.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 pm

sookwinder wrote: I always thought on ly nitrate guards shrunk and I would have thought that by 67 all the nitrate guards would have been used up... but when I started to restore one of my 66 jags, it appeared that the guard had shrunk and I am 99% sure it isn't nitrate
Whoops, that was a mistake, I got nitrate mixed up with the later guards. Post edited for clarity.

Yeah, I think I probably won't add the wheel adjuster... I'll see how it goes though.

I'm still experimenting with pickup heights. I just changed the strings, I think they were Bullet 10s before, now D'Addario .011-.049, and removed the buzz stop. The trem stays in tune much better now.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

benecol
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benecol » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:22 am

FireAarro wrote: The only real problem I've had with it is that the tremlock button keeps shaking itself loose, I've just taped it in place for now.
At last I can be a bit useful! My tremloc button used to do the same thing, but the good news is, it's threaded - you should be able to turn it a bit and tighten it. You don't even need to get the pliers on it, just turn it by hand (it'll only need an almost imperceptible turn), put some rubber gloves on if you need a bit of extra grip.

Hope this works for you, worked a charm for me (that was an AVRI jag too).

Ludger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ludger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:23 am

Welcome to the boards!