Hello

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Hello

Post by sookwinder » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:33 am

I just got to ask this ...  can someone from the US explain to me, using generic terminology, what is a "turnpike".

I have a rough idea that it is some part of the road system of a freeway/highway, but AFAIK or experienced this term "turnpike" is only used in the USA  .... if I am incorrect with that statement, please let me know...

is it an "off-ramp from a freeway" or an "on ramp to a freeway  or part of a "cloverleaf system to allow you to change freeways"  ie/ effectively change direction by 90 degrees ?  Does it allow you to do a U-turn ?
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:59 am

Turnpike is an old word for a toll road. It refers to the whole road system (not a specific interchange or ramp). Back in the early days of the automobile, many states (primarily eastern states) just had one limited-access highway from border to border... and it was known as that state's turnpike ie. "The Ohio Turnpike" (I don't know the origin of the word, other than "pike" being a thoroughfare).

As the Interstate Highway program began in the late 50s, the toll road fell out of favor, because the Eisenhower Interstate Act provided federal funding to match state funding. The term "freeway" came into being, and the western states got freeways before they could ever construct a turnpike.  The miles of highways constructed under the interstate system is stunning, the program (in its original form) was complete in 1984. Many of the existing state turnpike's were absorbed into the interstate system, many still exist and carry interstate route numbers as well as the old "turnpike" designation . In addition, many states have returned to the toll idea, especially for limited-access state routes and bridges, which were not eligible for federal funding.

Florida is pretty cool in that the toll booths are often removed on state roads once the road is paid for. They use the toll to pay for the specific road or bridge, instead of the toll going into a general coffer as "income".
Last edited by fullerplast on Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

mezzio13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mezzio13 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:06 pm

A pike is a large stake or post, usually wood.  In early days of travel (colonial days and earlier), people would buy property that could allow for an easier route from one place to another.  In order to take this route, you'd have to pay a usage toll to the landowner.  The easiest way to ensure that people didn't bypass the toll was to lay a pike across the road so that wagons could not make it past.  Paay the toll, and a worker would move or turn the pike out of the way so you could pass.

mezzio13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mezzio13 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:15 pm

berlinbetty wrote:   Hey, Fuller!  Where is this deserted stretch of PA Turnpike?  I live in the Harrisburg area and would like to check it out as I'm into rural exploration, myself.  There's a lot of great abandoned railroad bridges around here I've been taking pictures of.  Sad thing, losing the railroad...
  Welcome, by the way, mezzio13!
Thanks berlin.... btw I lived in Mechaniscburg for six months (short stay, long story).  Have you ever checked out that castle down on 144 right alongside I-81?  I totally kicks butt.  The guy who built it ran his dad's company, embezzled (sp?) millions, killed his dad, and then suicide, and left the thing 85% complete.  You can see it clearly on the left hand side of I-81 when traveling south.  If it's still abandonned, it's worth a trespass to check out (not an indorsement of any illegal activity).

berlinbetty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by berlinbetty » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:28 pm

I know geographically where you're talking about but I don't recall seeing a castle!?!  Might be worth a look-see...

Fullerplast:  it's funny you say I'm a lot closer to Breezewood than you.  I didn't think I was that terribly close.  You must be REALLY far from there, eh?
One more guitar, then I'll practice!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:51 am

turnpike |?t?rn?p?k| noun 1 an expressway, esp. one on which a toll is charged. • historical a toll gate. • (also turnpike road) historical a road on which a toll was collected at such a gate. 2 historical a spiked barrier fixed in or across a road or passage as a defense against sudden attack.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:09 am

Cool history on the word, mezzio and maggie. The idea of a guy going out and turning the pike cracks me up.    ;D

berlin, I'm in Florida... so you're indeed alot closer!  ;) 

My brother lives in Latrobe, he's a PA turnpike buff. That road has alot of fascintaing history. The whole thing (originally from Carlisle to Irwin), excavations, tunnels, roadway, bridges, ramps, toll booths, etc... was built in just 2 years, opening in 1940. Many "firsts" happened on that road.
Q. Are we not men?