CIJ or classic 60's jazzmaster

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
alex_philby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CIJ or classic 60's jazzmaster

Post by alex_philby » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am

Hello everyone, I'm new here so I hope this is the right place to post.

I'm the owner of a VM squier jazzmaster for a few years now and I'd like to upgrade to something better. I have to chose for my next purchase between a new classic 60's and a second hand CIJ jazzmaster. The pickups on the CIJ have been replaced for AVRI 65 pickups and staytrem bridge is installed. New classic 60's is at 960€ and CIJ is at 700€ (1€=$0.9).
I believe hardware quality is about the same as are necks profiles. So I'm wondering if electronics, or anything else could make one guitar better than the other ?

JazzmanLDG
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: CIJ or classic 60's jazzmaster

Post by JazzmanLDG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 am

As far as quality of the electronics etc go, CIJ aren't bad but it is fairly standard to upgrade to CTS pots and switchcraft jack and switch. The fact that it comes with a Staytrem and better pickups is pretty good. They are very well made guitars.

alex_philby
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alex_philby » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 am

JazzmanLDG wrote:As far as quality of the electronics etc go, CIJ aren't bad but it is fairly standard to upgrade to CTS pots and switchcraft jack and switch. The fact that it comes with a Staytrem and better pickups is pretty good. They are very well made guitars.
Ok thanks. Do you recommend the same electronics upgrade on the classic 60's ? I also have no idea what it would cost to make such changes. If it's not expensive, I guess the CIJ might be the best option considering it's selling for 250 euros less than the classic 60's.

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:32 pm

The 60's Laquer Jazzmaster has the same AV65 pickups.

As far as the electronics - I think the 60's laquer has better quality stuff I believe, but does not over think that. It has no bearing on sound.

I had the stock electronics in my CIJ for years, I eventually replaced them when a pot died on me. Didn't make much of a difference

Nitro vs poly finish is the other big difference- if that matters to you

JazzmanLDG
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JazzmanLDG » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

My CIJ was fine for years until the three way switch crapped out and the jack started to cut out around the same time, thus the change of parts.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 am

I'd probably go for the Classic 60's, just because I prefer the feel of nitro (I'm not someone who thinks sound is much at all affected, but feel is).

Switching out all the electronics is pretty reasonable if you do go with the CIJ - there's a guy selling pre-made wiring harnesses on Ebay right now for $68. These just drop in for the most part, although you do need to enlarge the holes for the pots in a CIJ pickguard a little bit.

Here's what I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPRO-UPGRADE-F ... XQNo5TXoRc

He's got a slightly more expensive one that's the one I bought a while ago, which has cloth wiring and PIO caps: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENDER-Jazzmast ... xyQyJRkoKA

I personally think Japanese-made guitars are a little more consistent than Mexican ones in terms of build quality, but YMMV. That would probably be the main reason I'd consider the CIJ; otherwise I think the Classic 60's would be the definite better buy. But the CIJ's do look and feel a bit more plasticky.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:17 am

Everything that has been said here is true. They're just different. Personally, on brand new guitars, I prefer poly, because I like them to stay "new". My '94 MIJ jag looks newer than many 2 year old nitro AV65s I've encountered. If you want your new guitar to show wear, and/or prefer the feel (I do like that nitro feel, as well), then go with the lacquer (if you like the colour). If you want something with a more durable finish, the MIJs are fantastic quality and consistency.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

artmem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by artmem » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:17 pm

I’d go with the classic 60s because of the nitro finish and 7.25 radius. , but the CIJ would be tempting too, with the updated pickups and bridge. Swap out the pots and an American trem, and you’d have a great guitar.

kaptainkaffeine
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kaptainkaffeine » Tue May 25, 2021 1:18 pm

It's wild to read this extremely bumped thread and then have to do a comically exaggerated double take at the price a CIJ in 2017 compared to what I've been looking at the last few weeks.