Lefty Jaguar parts?

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Lefty Jaguar parts?

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:56 am

I didn't have a choice about breaking my right arm at 5 years old, so yeah, I'm a lefty, building a Jag, without all the parts I need. Image
I've done this before with other models, but never a Jaguar. I bought a returned B-stock righty Squier CV for parts, pretty cheap. I found a great lefty alder body from USA Made Guitars (on Reverb, that's their store name). I will transplant most of the electronics from the CV and make my own pick guard, no problem. I found a nice lefty lower control plate from Angela, but the lefty upper control plate cannot be found anywhere south of scalper prices! The project has been sitting for weeks waiting for a resolution to that parts search. Hoping for suggestions there.
Ultimately I want to give this one a transparent surf green look (surf green color, but still showing some of that grain). But I don't feel safe committing to a body finish without knowing exactly what the control plates will be.
Last edited by BatUtilityBelt on Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lefty Jaguar parts?

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:22 pm

I flipped rh plates on my lefty Jag build. Worked for me with the dull finish.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:07 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:22 pm
I flipped rh plates on my lefty Jag build. Worked for me with the dull finish.
I looked at that, and didn't like it for this build - probably would for a different finish/treatment than I have in mind. Since I'm going to make the pick guard, another thing I'm considering is just adding that plate area to the pick guard, but my mind's eye doesn't love that yet.

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:24 pm

ey parts has lefty plates in a set for 50 bucks.

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:30 pm

efiug wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:24 pm
ey parts has lefty plates in a set for 50 bucks.
I saw that, and even tried to order the set. My credit card declined it, I think because of where they are. My CC has no balance and never declines anything normally, so that made me see them as possibly less than legitimate.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:04 am

Sadly there are no cheap options except the EY ones.

Herad and Faction both do high quality stuff.

Herad will do custom stuff to order, but it can take a while.
https://reverb.com/shop/herad

Faction has them ready to go, but they aren’t chromed.
https://store.factionguitars.com/colle ... cuit-plate

BrendanP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BrendanP » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:27 pm

I'm sure you've found those lefty parts by now, but I can confirm EY is a legit dealer and they also have the lefty Marr plates. Also, Angela.com has left handed plates sometimes.

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:35 am

BrendanP wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:27 pm
I'm sure you've found those lefty parts by now, but I can confirm EY is a legit dealer and they also have the lefty Marr plates. Also, Angela.com has left handed plates sometimes.
Good to hear. I never followed up because I'm not there yet. ::) A couple weeks ago I got tired of that Jaguar just waiting on the bench and I pulled the trigger at EY, also adding some mint green pick guard material to the order. I'm still a little nervous about whether or not it's actually coming, but have read enough online to take that chance. I have bought an Angela part here and there, and agree that's a good option when they have what you need. If the EY order works out, I might just make myself several Jaguarish guitars later.

BrendanP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BrendanP » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:20 pm

BatUtilityBelt wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:35 am
BrendanP wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:27 pm
Good to hear. I never followed up because I'm not there yet. ::) A couple weeks ago I got tired of that Jaguar just waiting on the bench and I pulled the trigger at EY, also adding some mint green pick guard material to the order. I'm still a little nervous about whether or not it's actually coming, but have read enough online to take that chance. I have bought an Angela part here and there, and agree that's a good option when they have what you need. If the EY order works out, I might just make myself several Jaguarish guitars later.
I’ve had four or five orders from them without a hitch. Looking forward to seeing pics!

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:41 am

Update: Today the control plates from EY Guitar arrived, and they look great. Their dimensions perfectly match the righty parts I have from my donor guitar and the finish quality is very good. I now consider EY Guitar a parts source I can trust (and just need to give them a couple weeks lead time because shipping is very slow. I like this look!
The build will take a while because I don't have a paint booth yet and I will want to test processes before I do this body, but my parts are complete now and I have no excuse to not move forward. Psyched!

jhexp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jhexp » Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:57 pm

Congrats on getting the parts. Looking forward to seeing the build.

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:01 pm

I had been waiting to go further because I didn't really want to transplant the righty trem on this lefty. So I bought a lefty trem and (doh!) it came with a righty arm. That seller gave me a discount because he couldn't find a lefty arm after I described why it matters, but I found a Wilkinson arm is a perfect fit. So I made the pickguard and very carefully drilled all the holes. I will still thin down this PG a bit, but it's coming along. I had to put a few strings on just to align the trem well for mounting. So I put all the strings on, tightened a lot of it down, and played the guitar for the first time. I hadn't grounded everything yet so there was extra hum, but I love the way it sounds!
I am going to take my time testing the transparent finish I plan on other pieces before I apply it to this body. That will probably take over a month. But this guitar is on a great path and I can tell I'm going to love it.

BrendanP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BrendanP » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:11 pm

That pickguard looks great. If you want to have a few different color pickguards to mix things up later on, try aliexpress.com I'm not kidding. I rolled the dice last winter and bought a one-ply gloss black pickguard for my CV70's strat. It took a month to arrive, but it looks and fits perfectly. (if it fits the CV, that means it fits the MIM) Every screw lined up and no flaws. After that I bought 3 of the lefty Merle Haggard-style tele pickguards from that site. About $5-$6 each. Perfect fit again. I bought a lefty Jag pickguard two weeks ago in Mint Green. It should be here in a week or two. They have red tort, brown tort, black, parchment and lots of crazy colors. $6-$8. If interested, I'll confirm the fit once it arrives.

BatUtilityBelt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BatUtilityBelt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:17 am

BrendanP wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:11 pm
That pickguard looks great. If you want to have a few different color pickguards to mix things up later on, try aliexpress.com I'm not kidding. I rolled the dice last winter and bought a one-ply gloss black pickguard for my CV70's strat. It took a month to arrive, but it looks and fits perfectly. (if it fits the CV, that means it fits the MIM) Every screw lined up and no flaws. After that I bought 3 of the lefty Merle Haggard-style tele pickguards from that site. About $5-$6 each. Perfect fit again. I bought a lefty Jag pickguard two weeks ago in Mint Green. It should be here in a week or two. They have red tort, brown tort, black, parchment and lots of crazy colors. $6-$8. If interested, I'll confirm the fit once it arrives.
Thanks! I'll have to take a look, those sound like quite a deal. I do love how this one is turning out, and this is my first Jaguar so I'm stoked. Why don't builders make lefty Jags?!?

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:07 am

If you're feeling daring try bending the arm the other way. I've literally used the old-school radiator with nice curves on it in my home office as a "tool" to bend some curves into arms.