Gold Anodized pickguard for Fender Japan Jazzmaster '93

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
frail
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Gold Anodized pickguard for Fender Japan Jazzmaster '93

Post by frail » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Hello all!
New JAZZMASTER owner and new member here!

I would like to install a Gold Anodized Pickguard on my MIJ Jazzmaster.
1) I am in Europe and I would like to find a cheap solution, I would not like to spend 100$,
2) Do USA Jazzmaster Pickguards fit on my guitar?

Thanks a lot

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gold Anodized pickguard for Fender Japan Jazzmaster '93

Post by Embenny » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:29 am

No, USA spec pickguards won't fit, including all the anodized guards.

MIJ anodized guards do exist, as they're offered on a few models in Japan, but I've never seen them on the aftermarket.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:44 am

would the J mascis MIJ fit on yours? or is the bridge mounting points different

Just an idea

I mean you also pay for what you get, high quality perfectly matched materials, you could perhaps get a shop to custom make it to your specs for the same or less price, explore your options

good luck dude

frail
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frail » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:10 am

thank you very much guys,
No idea about the J Mascis Japan JM fitting... but I read that one has an adjustomatic bridge..
seems a difficult task :D
exploring other color options for the pickguard since I love the guitar

biggs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by biggs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:32 am

Hello all,

I'm very interested in any kind of solution you may find !
There should be someone who sells a gold pickguard that fits MIJ/CIJ somewhere !

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:33 am

This topic comes up periodically. There aren't a lot of options. It basically comes down to:

1) Fender Japan made/make them for JM's with standard bridges, although good luck waiting for one to come up separately.

2) Tone Guard might make you one, although I doubt it'd be cheap.

3) Allparts made/make them for both American and Japanese JM's, but you have to be really careful making sure of which one you're getting because they don't even really know.

I think your best bet is going to be hunting for an Allparts, if you don't want to pay more than $100. But study the visual difference between US and Japanese pickguards so you can tell what any given listing is actually selling. The easiest way I've found to tell the difference is that the short edge next to the bridge pickup just before it curves around to the bridge is 90 degrees and straight on Japanese pickguards, whereas it tapers on American ones.

Japanese: https://reverb.com/item/2046923-fender- ... -pickguard (unfortunately this one sold long ago)
American: https://reverb.com/item/903961-fender-j ... d-anodized

If you see that little taper just before the curve around to the bridge, it's American fit.

This one, for example, is a pic of a Japanese pickguard, but the description says it's American fit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pickguard- ... SwySlZ608k

You could at least email and ask for an actual pic of the item. (Pretty sure this listing was there the last time this topic came up.)

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:46 pm

If you're going primarily for color/texture and not the actual metal aspect of the gold guard, another option is https://www.wdmusic.com/.

I got one of their gold brushed guards for my CV 50's Tele in white blonde and it is a very convincing metallic effect. It does sit on a black plastic backing, so its almost like a black outline around the guard where the bevels are present.

Its this material: https://www.wdmusic.com/fender_jazzmast ... -1414.html

They're a bit vague about which models they have available on offsets, but they are pretty good about having odd models and tracings kicking around. You could always email/call them or send them a tracing and see.

sa1126
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sa1126 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 am

Old thread, but worth a bump.

The WD guard is crap IMO, and their customer service is horrible. The gold guard is a clear plastic piece ontop of some gold foil and it doesn't look very nice at all. I told them it wasn't as advertised and they didn't even respond.

I am working with an Aussie builder on here to get a gold guard for my CIJ -- I will report as soon as I can get it!
Gibson Les Paul Custom --> Orange AD30

great deals with dug, grandmasterdavid, ChrisFFTA, Bryce_dude13, cestlamort, jimi, HNB,blake480,DocCarlson,
Gonkulator, AWSchmit, billboneys, panoramic,Gavanti,seancomm,Swansonron,Con-Tiki!

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:22 am

That's one of their gold guards and not the one I was referring to. The other is backed by 1 ply black plastic and has a metallic feeling brushed metal look. This one is rather nice - even if not identical to an aluminum guard.

sonofmustangford
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sonofmustangford » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:54 am

I'm after an anodised gold guard for my Japanese JM. Found this https://www.soundhouse.co.jp/products/d ... em/101761/ which is under $100 Aus dollars and is clearly meant for a JM66 but I don't think they ship internationally. I also found this https://untake-guitars.jp/product-categ ... pickguard/ which is a bit more expensive. It appears to be an Allparts Japan product so why they are not on eBay is beyond me. How do I contact the Australian maker of anodised guards?