Non-Reverse Firebird playability

Got questions or suggestions? Want to show the world your dressing room creations? Post 'em here!
FabianSalomonsson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Non-Reverse Firebird playability

Post by FabianSalomonsson » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:00 am

Hi fellow Offset nerds.

I’ve become more and more interested in getting a non-reverse firebird but I haven’t had the opportunity to play one. I’ve heard that they are quite big and perhaps not the best ergonomically. How does it feel ergonomically compared to a Jazzmaster? Is the neck further away from you? Is the non-reverse longer than a jazzmaster?

Any experience and input on the matter is greatly appreciated. :)

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Non-Reverse Firebird playability

Post by Gavanti » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 am

My NRFB is pretty well balanced. It is definitely longer than the Jazzmaster, though its body is significantly thinner as well. It’s lightweight compared to my JM and very comfortable to play. The NRFB neck is a totally different animal though if you’re used to a JM—slim and wide at the nut tapering thicker toward the heel., and the overall playing feel is different as well due to the bridge setup.

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:41 am

They're long, but not neck heavy. They're also thin with a thin neck that's extremely flat compared to vintage fenders. Like playing a piano, sort of.
Highly recommended. I love both of mine.

I think the 2002/3 firebirds sound the best of the ones I've tried, the p90 2012-ish ones are kind of on steroids, the 2015 ones are a bit muddier and need new pickups (on my to do list), but look the best. Especially the pelham blue ones. They're also really cheap because no one seems to like them. Under £900 in England, easy.

I've never played vintage, but they're often talked about being lower output and brighter, more fender sounding.

dugwolf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dugwolf » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:36 am

Sold mine because it was uncomfortable to play chords up by the nut. They felt so far away. Would really have to stretch to play an F chord. Or tilt the guitar neck up so it was easier. The p90s sounded fantastic though. It’s probably great for lead players with good access to the upper frets.

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:11 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:17 am
The NRFB neck is a totally different animal though if you’re used to a JM—slim and wide at the nut tapering thicker toward the heel
my 65 nrfb has an extremely narrow nut and a not-too-slim neck profile. i would guess that the modern cnc-machine nrfbs have the almost universal 42-43mm nut width.

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by WillyP » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:14 pm

I had two which I sold because they weren't very comfortable for me. Even though the reverse ones don't look as good as nonreverse they are much more ergonomic feeling. Both versions do have the neck oriented to feel very long though.

Also, one of mine was under 8lbs and the other was 10.5 lbs, If you want a lighter one I'd ask the seller to weigh it before you buy it. In addition the vintage ones have more rounded edges on the body, and some of the reissues are more squared off which doesn't feel as comfortable. I like Fender floating tremolos better than the Firebird trems as well.

I wouldn't recommend buying one without playing one first. They can be great for the right person, but they are not for everyone, especially if you're more used to a Fender offset. Modding a Jazzmaster or Jaguar with minihumbuckers could be cool. I was thinking of trying Filtertrons in one of mine.