stupid firepod/cubase question

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
benelli
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

stupid firepod/cubase question

Post by benelli » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:46 am

so i just got a firepod and the cubase le 4 program that came with it with the hopes of having some fun and teaching myself how to record better. i was doing well when i was using one mic to record one track at a time, but i reached a problem when i got more ambitious and took it to band practice. the problem is that when i plug in eight separate mics in and hit record all eight tracks are being recorded by input one instead of each mic recording. can someone tell me a simple step by step way of assigning the tracks correctly?

here is my screen, so if you need to point out where shit is. again i am just beginning so everything as laymen as possible. please.

all out of bubblegum

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: stupid firepod/cubase question

Post by JJ Gabor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 am

I don't have experience with a firepod but i did just start using an Art audio tubefire8 with Cubase LE.  I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it:

Turn on your interface (make sure you have installed its drivers) start cubase LE

Go to DEVICES>Device setup

look at the 'VST audio system' part of the tree and check that it is using the firepod drivers and not the standard in the 'Asio Driver' dropdown box. 

Once this is done go to DEVICES>VST Connections

There should be a 'preset' dropdown.  I found it best to start with '8 mono' for an 8 track interface.

You should now see 8 mono inputs in a list.  check that your device is selected for each input and then click on the 'device port' column and select a firepod input.  I usually just use the first input on the interface for the first vst input and so on.  Do all 8.

Now go to the track window and create 8 mono audio tracks.

In your screenshot you can see down the left hand column of the screen and above the inserts,eq,sends and channel dropdowns -  the input and output selector for each track.  These are black and have  a box with a little arrow going in or coming out. In the top one (box with arrow going in = input) select an input.  I suggest audio track 1 you should select input 1 on the interface and so on until you have done all 8 audio tracks.

You should then be able to plug 8 mics into the firepod and have them record on tracks 1 thru 8 on cubase.

Hope this makes sense  :-[ I am just learning too.

feel free to post more screenshots if you get stuck

cheers
JJ

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:35 am

forgot to mention  - when you set this all up go to FILE> save as template. 

Then whenever you create a new file you will be able to use this as a template. :)

benelli
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by benelli » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:31 pm

thank you! this really helped. everything seems to be working...all the mics and stuff are at our practice space...cant wait to try it out.
all out of bubblegum