recording to garageband on my iphone7 so many questions

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: recording to garageband on my iphone7 so many questions

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 pm

OK, shit. So you have never upgraded your OS. It's time to do that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:27 pm
OK, shit. So you have never upgraded your OS. It's time to do that.
you sure it will work on a 2011 macbook pro?
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 am

I use an old Macbook Pro as well, and they stopped updating the OS for my model a few years ago - which is fine, because it means I don't have any plug-in or driver issues with my tablet and Scarlett interfaces. Mine has and runs GB. I use it to record all of our practices and any one-off things I do. If I'm doing projects with other people using big-boy software, I just export my tracks as individual AIFF and it works without issue. I believe the last time I updated my OS, was right around when they stopped including GB and were trying to sell it - if I recall correctly... I think I had to wait out the idea that it'd be viable for them to sell; and offer it for free again. Hopefully, you can find a version that will work with your OS. It really is an easy to use, feature-packed, solid program.

Just had a quick look - it's out there. Here's a link I found quickly: https://macdownload.informer.com/garageband3/
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:18 am

Here you can find the compatibility chart for your Macbook Pro. It seems that a 2011 Macbook Pro will be supported up until High Sierra, or 10.13.

The reason this is important is because the later operating systems will give you the ability to run the later versions of Garage Band.

The reason that is important is because the later the version of Garage Band the better its compatibility with the version of Garage Band running on your phone is going to be.

This should allow you to be able to record to Garage Band on your iPhone and then export that project to your Macbook Pro to use with the Garage Band there. This will allow for ease of use and greater compatibility with your collaborators.

Here is Apple's instructions for upgrading to High Sierra.

They know it's end of line software for a lot of systems so they still offer it. Follow the instructions about backing everything up that you care about.

Once you have upgraded to the latest operating system, then go to the App Store and get the latest version of Garage Band.

Assuming that everything works out well there, I would recommend that you get an audio interface for your Macbook Pro and use that. This would open up a whole world of USB (or maybe Thunderbolt) audio interfaces that you would be able to use on your next computer, whenever you get that, and move you off the fairly cramped world of recording to a phone.

If you can swing a fast external hard drive, record to that. Computers like to have the OS and the applications running on one drive and record to another one if possible, it adds to throughput and stability.

If you feel you'd like some "in person" advice or help, I'm always a Zoom meeting away.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:12 am

looks like i can upgrade it to regular sierra, for some reason that link won't do anything for me with high sierra
you think that upgrade will make a difference? i backed up all of my shit on an external with time machine last night and downloaded sierra just a minute ago
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am

It’s worth it to have the highest iOS that your computer can run, for almost everything. Hopefully that will allow you to use a more recent version of GB than the old iOS would run - that’s the overall goal here.

It may or may not make a difference in the version of GB that you can use, from what you’re running now, but even if not, it’s still a better operating system overall. If nothing else, it should allow the computer to run & process whatever you’re running & recording more efficiently.

There are no downsides to doing that, that I can think of, at least with an Apple.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.