PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying a new MacBook

Post by bah humbuck » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:28 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:08 pm
bah humbuck wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:13 pm
I spent something like $1500 on a 13" MacBook Pro in late 2013. When it died three years later, I spent $250 on a Lenovo Thinkpad T440p. Couldn't be happier. I swapped out the drive for a 1tb SSD, all the other parts are also user serviceable so if something breaks I can replace it. Not the case with the MacBook.
How did it die?

I don't know for sure, I haven't got it fully checked by a professional because I resent spending $100 to be told that I have a broken computer. But I talked to a tech once who said that based on the fact that it breathed its last on a 112 degree day in the Los Angeles summer, that there was a possibility the fan had given up the ghost and some internal components melted. I don't know though, I carried that laptop in my backpack everywhere I went for two years, it's possible it was just a simple case of it being maxed out and ready to go see Steve Jobs

edit to add: I was already noticing that it was a relatively underpowered computer for what I was doing (complex video editing with on-the-fly green screen type effects based on specific colors in the frame that change constantly) so when it died I decided to get something built to a higher standard that was user serviceable. All the hype about "creatives" needing OSX or MacOS or whatever it's called now is just that, hype. I'm perfectly happy with my Thinkpad, and if I really want to someday I can make it into a hackintosh!

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Buying a new MacBook

Post by NBarnes21 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:48 pm

For whatever it’s worth, I think the latest Macs are a total ripoff. A few years ago I made it my full time job to scour eBay for a MacBook Pro over the course of a few weeks and was able to score a 13” 2013 Retina model with a 2.8 ghz i7 and 16gb ram for $880 and it still runs awesome to this day on Mojave. Also still running my 2013 maxed out iMac as my studio computer which I purchased used in 2016 for $1300, and it’s great too. If you can score a top end older model you can save a ton of cash vs buying new and still get a really fast machine.
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic