home studio build!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
User avatar
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by postchrist » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 am
How do you like the ISA Two? That’s on my short list for new mic pres.
love it! i’ve had it about a month now, it’s a nice flavor. has a lot of air and depth to it, and distorts in a nice way when you push it - kinda sounds like a tamed neve, if that makes sense. the impedance function is nice for bringing out the best in a microphone.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5007
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: home studio build!

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:07 pm

postchrist wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 am
How do you like the ISA Two? That’s on my short list for new mic pres.
love it! i’ve had it about a month now, it’s a nice flavor. has a lot of air and depth to it, and distorts in a nice way when you push it - kinda sounds like a tamed neve, if that makes sense. the impedance function is nice for bringing out the best in a microphone.
Cool. Sounds up my alley sonically. I love my MP-2NV, but am looking for something with those kind of attributes for a little contrast.

Also really like the combo of variable HPF and balanced inserts. It would be great to be able to patch my compressors in and click them in and out.

User avatar
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by postchrist » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm

the mp-2nv has always been intriguing to me, i have yet to try one out!

i will say, in my experience, the isa is harder to push low-output mics with. my m-160 and sm7b tend to sound better with my dav pres - running with the isa tends to introduce a little bit of noise. they sound absolutely stunning paired with a couple mk-012s as drum overheads, or on guitars, and the di inputs sound a lot better than i would expect.

granted, the noise thing could also be a wiring issue - the electrical in my space is less than ideal, and i deal with ground noise problems occasionally when running amps in the room, so it could just as easily be that. too many variables, it makes my brain hurt.
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5007
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: home studio build!

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 pm

postchrist wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:43 pm
the mp-2nv has always been intriguing to me, i have yet to try one out!

i will say, in my experience, the isa is harder to push low-output mics with. my m-160 and sm7b tend to sound better with my dav pres - running with the isa tends to introduce a little bit of noise. they sound absolutely stunning paired with a couple mk-012s as drum overheads, or on guitars, and the di inputs sound a lot better than i would expect.

granted, the noise thing could also be a wiring issue - the electrical in my space is less than ideal, and i deal with ground noise problems occasionally when running amps in the room, so it could just as easily be that. too many variables, it makes my brain hurt.
You could also look into some kind of inline phantom powered preamp for your low output mics (Cloudlifter, FEThead, etc...).

I am literally running an extension cord from my garage over to my rack because my basement is all two prong and noisy as hell.
I have a power conditioner for my stuff, but I'm pretty surprised it isn't noisier.

Thanks for the mini ISA Two review. The noise thing concerns me a little, but I tend not to use low output mics on quiet sources. Really dig the MP-2NV. It was a big expense at the time, but I've never found myself wishing for something better, just something different. Like, if I want a "texture" acoustic guitar to keep pretty low in mix I want something more immediate sounding. For more stripped down arrangements a little more honest sounding pre for vocals can be nice. The DIs are great.

User avatar
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by postchrist » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm

a joyous day! ordered this a little while ago and after a tuneup at transaudio it arrived on my doorstep this morning. running some drums, sax, guitars, and full mixes through it to get the idea. so far seems to be the versatile desert island comp i was hoping it would be.

Image
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

User avatar
postchrist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by postchrist » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:18 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:19 pm
You could also look into some kind of inline phantom powered preamp for your low output mics (Cloudlifter, FEThead, etc...).

I am literally running an extension cord from my garage over to my rack because my basement is all two prong and noisy as hell.
I have a power conditioner for my stuff, but I'm pretty surprised it isn't noisier.

Thanks for the mini ISA Two review. The noise thing concerns me a little, but I tend not to use low output mics on quiet sources. Really dig the MP-2NV. It was a big expense at the time, but I've never found myself wishing for something better, just something different. Like, if I want a "texture" acoustic guitar to keep pretty low in mix I want something more immediate sounding. For more stripped down arrangements a little more honest sounding pre for vocals can be nice. The DIs are great.
cloudlifter/fethead is on the list - been thinking on whether to order a couple or just go for the full cloudlifter rack unit.

an isolating transformer might be on the list as well - proposed in that rod gervais book as a good solution to ground noise issues when rewiring isn’t an option. maybe something to look into?
lying dog-faced pony soldier.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5007
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: home studio build!

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:04 pm

Happy new compressor day!

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16950
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: home studio build!

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm

postchrist wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:18 pm


cloudlifter/fethead is on the list - been thinking on whether to order a couple or just go for the full cloudlifter rack unit.
Look into the Klark Teknik mic booster for $30 first. No reason to spend $100 on a Cloudlifter that I can see.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5007
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: home studio build!

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:07 pm

postchrist wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:33 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:04 am
How do you like the ISA Two? That’s on my short list for new mic pres.
love it! i’ve had it about a month now, it’s a nice flavor. has a lot of air and depth to it, and distorts in a nice way when you push it - kinda sounds like a tamed neve, if that makes sense. the impedance function is nice for bringing out the best in a microphone.

Well, I decided to join ISA Two crüe. Finally found a gently used one at a swingable price.

User avatar
maryterso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:30 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by maryterso » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:10 pm

awesome! good luck in all your endeavors!

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: home studio build!

Post by jorri » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm
postchrist wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:18 pm


cloudlifter/fethead is on the list - been thinking on whether to order a couple or just go for the full cloudlifter rack unit.
Look into the Klark Teknik mic booster for $30 first. No reason to spend $100 on a Cloudlifter that I can see.
Having a cheap klark and a Fethead they certainly sound different even in my cheap setup. The klark just sounds like the preamp, Fethead clarifies the ribbons and dynamics due to the higher impedance. Other changes maybe noise, but that depends what its going to in either case.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16950
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: home studio build!

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm

jorri wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:03 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm
postchrist wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:18 pm


cloudlifter/fethead is on the list - been thinking on whether to order a couple or just go for the full cloudlifter rack unit.
Look into the Klark Teknik mic booster for $30 first. No reason to spend $100 on a Cloudlifter that I can see.
Having a cheap klark and a Fethead they certainly sound different even in my cheap setup. The klark just sounds like the preamp, Fethead clarifies the ribbons and dynamics due to the higher impedance. Other changes maybe noise, but that depends what its going to in either case.
Thanks for letting me know!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 1:53 am
Location: bath, UK
Contact:

Re: home studio build!

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:06 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm
jorri wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:03 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:22 pm


Look into the Klark Teknik mic booster for $30 first. No reason to spend $100 on a Cloudlifter that I can see.
Having a cheap klark and a Fethead they certainly sound different even in my cheap setup. The klark just sounds like the preamp, Fethead clarifies the ribbons and dynamics due to the higher impedance. Other changes maybe noise, but that depends what its going to in either case.
Thanks for letting me know!

I think less noise on Fethead. Except it was picking up weird phantom power whines from my cheap tube pre. Given that the pre was £40 its probably the pres fault but the Klark didnt!
Anyway, i use for stereo ribbon on piano...unmatched models.
I think they may even do a low impedance model by fethead (i.e. standard youd find on a mixer, for condensers----that would be more like the Klark i suppose except it doesnt pass phantom power so you cant use with condensers without an extra power box!)

User avatar
maryterso
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:30 am

Re: home studio build!

Post by maryterso » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:17 am

I want to set up my home studio too. I have always been keen on rock music and guitar sound. Now I am training on a fender squier bullet stratocaster:) But I live in a tiny house, 1000 SF. Recently I decided to buy a new house and to make my old dream come true. I rummaged through the entire internet, but I didn't manage to find a reliable housing company:(. My Filipino friend advised Lumina, they have a house and lot for sale in the Philippines. But do you know a similar company in the USA? I need your help! Your story has made me inspired much more!

Post Reply