Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Professor Bill
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Aesthetics of home recording

Post by Professor Bill » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:29 pm

jorri wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am

Ive recently converted a "drum machine" project into a live drum situation. No problem at all. This was at full lockdown so drummer just sent these files. Maybe the energy is in live drums here it often feels like that. Of course there are exceptions because some will want to really edit and quantized live drums,but I guess I'm after an early 90s alt sound (live recordings were done then, but seems to me the drums are the bit that matters)
This is something I've been thinking about. My engineer collaborator is a drummer – a very good one. I feel like I can get good sounds from a sample. My hearing's not as keen as some, but to my ears I think the sound can rival a well-engineered recording of a live kit. But I wonder about feel. Some songs seem like they could have been built from loops, or quantized so as to feel metronomic, but other times it seems a live drummer brings subtleties that would take lots and lots of specialized programming. Or maybe it's something I think I am hearing, but isn't really there, or at least 90% of listeners (and non-drummers) would never notice. I've wondered what added value of redoing drums, live, might bring. Especially when they would have to play to a click.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:31 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:02 pm
sookwinder wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:00 am
every now and then I change instruments and forget to look and wouldn't you know sometimes those great takes are ruined.
Listen to the vocal on "Instant Karma" or "Little Red Corvette"!

Sometimes a little clipping (even very UGLY clipping!) isn't enough to ruin a great performance.
I must admit some on my best sounding (feel and playing) "squared fingered piano" tracks have a level of clipping in them … it almost gives a sense of urgency to the sound when compared to the perfectly no clipping) takes.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Telliot wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 am
That sounds lovely, David. When can I stop by? :)
Todd, anytime you're in my part of the world just drop on by … there will always be a glass of muscat with your name on it :)

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:44 pm

:-* ^ A fellow fortified wine fan!
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:35 pm

Professor Bill wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:29 pm
jorri wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:53 am

Ive recently converted a "drum machine" project into a live drum situation. No problem at all. This was at full lockdown so drummer just sent these files. Maybe the energy is in live drums here it often feels like that. Of course there are exceptions because some will want to really edit and quantized live drums,but I guess I'm after an early 90s alt sound (live recordings were done then, but seems to me the drums are the bit that matters)
This is something I've been thinking about. My engineer collaborator is a drummer – a very good one. I feel like I can get good sounds from a sample. My hearing's not as keen as some, but to my ears I think the sound can rival a well-engineered recording of a live kit. But I wonder about feel. Some songs seem like they could have been built from loops, or quantized so as to feel metronomic, but other times it seems a live drummer brings subtleties that would take lots and lots of specialized programming. Or maybe it's something I think I am hearing, but isn't really there, or at least 90% of listeners (and non-drummers) would never notice. I've wondered what added value of redoing drums, live, might bring. Especially when they would have to play to a click.
To me its just a natural process. A good drummer can learn and play through songs in one session, no problem.
With tweaking a sampled kit, how do you put the energy back in? How do you decide when a fill goes off.
Its also that he's a drummer and I'm not! so its good to have a second opinion. He's also into experimental sounds so will do something like put a mic in the corridor or ex-factory hall that is outside his studio which is not easy to replicate, has a desk with nice transformers and Coyles and Neumanns...so there's something there. he even sent an AUX through his spring reverb.

out of these tracks some i left with the Korg Volca Drum. That's a very different sound, almost IDM, but despite making an arbitrary style separation some tracks could have been EZ drummer or something and some just not.
Especially only one that was a problem, where i'd asked him to bolster up a more new wave beat in there and play metronomically (which i am considering treating more to fit together tightly now). But everything else was noise-rock/post-rock type things which were very organic.
-the value, depends on genre. and how improvisational or chaotic you want to go i guess.
-but also as much value as recording anything. I mean you can be assured your drum sound is not identikit and will produce its own individuality (which i understand for some styles is not a good thing too...even this the odd 'weak snare hit' is a disadvantage but on the whole I am just unsure how to get something of that energy?)
Same reason I record a piano, or use my shitty cello playing instead of a sample library I guess i've just set myself some limitations to move forward, but also if you nail it it has character. Even my guitar is mostly highly effected and /could/ be replaced by a synth on a PC but why?

Its also a primary reason: instead of endless tweaking infront of a screen.... you have a session, you go to a place, you prepare and maybe get both anxious/excited over the situation. You collaborate and they suggest their expertise, ideas, sometimes fail to understand the vison (aren't as invested in it as you_) or sometimes improve a boring track with their ideas. And when its done its done and seems like a short time. so psychologically speaking too, you'd make different results even if somehow the sounds being worked with were the same.
Like with recording myself at home, i don't want it to be too close to the activity of going online and watching something, like i make it difficult for myself intentionally haha.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:09 pm
Telliot wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:53 am
That sounds lovely, David. When can I stop by? :)
Todd, anytime you're in my part of the world just drop on by … there will always be a glass of muscat with your name on it :)

CHAMBERS is amazing eh.
went there last year and sent a buncha boxes home.... really cool place to visit if you get the chance

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:32 am

so scuse me... while I ask this Guy

How youse uploading photos to a forum these days????

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:00 am

whitewatersky wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:32 am
so scuse me... while I ask this Guy

How youse uploading photos to a forum these days????

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... ?f=5&t=202