Can we talk hardware compressors for vocals?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can we talk hardware compressors for vocals?

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:04 pm

Thank you, Dok! Very kind of you to pass that along, I'll look into it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:58 pm

10-15 years ago the RNC was highly regarded at its price point. I honestly didn’t know they were still being made. It’s a good choice for lighter settings though.

The dbx-160 seemed to be the budget choice for drums and more aggressive sounds, not really suitable for vocals or acoustic in most cases.

A big step up from both, and it’s a step up in price too, is the Neve designed Portico 5043 dual compressor. It’s been discontinued since RND switched over to 500 series modules, so I thought the price would have dropped for used, but looking around they are still highly valued and priced above what they sold for new.

https://rupertneve.com/products/portico-5043/

My main point in suggesting it is that you can link the 2 compressors in stereo, or use them independently if you wanted to record vocals and acoustic guitar at the same time with different settings. It’s very transparent and some people use them for low budget mastering compression, although that’s not what it was intended for. I think they can even run them in series if you wanted to, as a limiter/compressor chain.

I really thought if you stretched your budget above $700 you could find one, but it appears they rarely go for under $1000 used. I remember used Empirical Labs Distressors used to be available under $1000, but that seems to be in the past as well.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:03 pm

The Warm 1176 is really great, hard to beat the value on that- while I haven't done any critical A/B'ing to a real one, I have used both, and didn't feel like the Warm one was lacking anything, it just did what I'm used to an 1176 doing. Hope that helps!
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:30 pm

Thank you gentlemen!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.