Live Recording: Video and Sound in optimal quality

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Live Recording: Video and Sound in optimal quality

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:22 am

Hey folks!

I'm looking for the perfect solution for live sessions/rehearsal room sessions, concerts, playthroughs and gear demoing (and maybe even for parts in a music video - but the focus is on the LIVE thing) - meaning I need real good sound and video quality.

I've stumbled across the the Zoom Q2N 4K and Zoom Q8 - and they both look promising - but the Q8 while sporting the better features in general (xlr inputs to add sound from the mixing control) but the worse video quality.

GoPro isn't famous for the sound either...

There are some Camcorders you could attach a microphone too...

Or should I just get myself a new iPhone (I do need a new phone so that would have just been a question of time) and a tripod?

What are your experiences and opinions?

My budget is about 200-500€, I also have a Canon 700D that can shot decent videos - but I'm looking for something more stable that can be just be put and would do it's thing - the DSLR would be used as an add-on for details etc.

Thank you!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Live Recording: Video and Sound in optimal quality

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am

I suppose that my first question has to be how many inputs do you need? How many mics are going to be up at one time?
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:44 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:23 am
I suppose that my first question has to be how many inputs do you need? How many mics are going to be up at one time?
Well.
I‘m not 100% set on the details.
If it has let‘s say two xlr inputs it would already be awesome as I could go stereo out of the mixing control and if I‘d need to - mic the amps and send them to the mixer first - combined with the room sound it should be a decent mix!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:47 am

The Sony HDR-MV1 also looks great...

But like the Zoom Q8 it‘s 5+ years old. Not that they didn‘t build good stuff back then - but I‘m sure things must have improved as the needs surely have increased. Their successor-products would probably be my thing... but I haven‘t seen any (except for the Zoom Q2N 4K which seems alright - but other than that I only found VR models from Zoom)