NFCD (new free compressor day)

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NFCD (new free compressor day)

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:56 pm

There aren’t too many perks to my job, but when I spotted a DBX 160A in a rack my company is gutting I told our tech “If that’s getting tossed I want it!”.

He just dropped it off and it’s crazy clean. Hardly a scratch on it. Hopefully it works.

Auto attack and release which is ok by me. Depending on how it sounds for recording it might end up on vocal duty for the practice space PA.

Anybody use one of these? What kind stuff do you like it on?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NFCD (new free compressor day)

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:51 pm

160A is great!

We keep a few in our racks in most of our rooms.

I really like them on kick drum for a certain kind of thing, occasionally snare. That's about all I ever really use them for these days, but that doesn't mean they can't be used for other stuff too.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:49 pm

Cool. Hopefully I can give it a test later today.

I have one of those 1 ru rack bags I trash picked from an old practice space and one of those single channel Event mic pres I think I spent all of $40 on that will fit in the pocket of the case.

I figure this will be a good DGAF setup.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:09 pm

I've been meaning to get one for some time. Totally jealous!
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Welp, the metering is not working properly. Based on a preliminary search it sounds like it could be bad solder joint. Looks like everything on that panel is on a ribbon cable, so I suppose spraying out the connection with some Deoxit is worth a try as well.

But it otherwise works and is pretty quiet. I tried it on vocals and smashing a room mic while playing some sloppy drums. I quite liked it for that.

Our basement has the full 60's remodel with a fireplace and wood paneling and I put the mic I was using a few inches from the brick facing away from the kit. That was a pretty cool room mic sound with a surprising amount of low end. Definitely a trick I'm going to try again.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:27 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm
Welp, the metering is not working properly. Based on a preliminary search it sounds like it could be bad solder joint. Looks like everything on that panel is on a ribbon cable, so I suppose spraying out the connection with some Deoxit is worth a try as well.

But it otherwise works and is pretty quiet. I tried it on vocals and smashing a room mic while playing some sloppy drums. I quite liked it for that.

Our basement has the full 60's remodel with a fireplace and wood paneling and I put the mic I was using a few inches from the brick facing away from the kit. That was a pretty cool room mic sound with a surprising amount of low end. Definitely a trick I'm going to try again.
I used to love playing around with a room mic like that! And running it through a 160A, or a Meekbox, or a Distressor in a fancier studio. The AC-30 often ended up mic’Ed in a hallway or stairwell back in those days.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:01 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:27 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:36 pm

I used to love playing around with a room mic like that! And running it through a 160A, or a Meekbox, or a Distressor in a fancier studio. The AC-30 often ended up mic’Ed in a hallway or stairwell back in those days.
Yeah! I love roomy guitar sounds too.

The bathroom at my practice space is a strangely huge concrete room. I think there will be some early morning shenanigans at some point in our next recording.