Fingers crossed here...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Fingers crossed here...

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:04 am

I have a vocalist I plan to work with, and I asked my friend whose studio we will use what he had as far as microphones. He didn't get back to me yet, so I looked on eBay at some Neumann TLM stuff (mainly the TLM49).

Now, reviews of those are always all over the place, so I did a Hail Mary and looked at some U87s, and there was one I could afford, at frankly a price that would be a stunning deal for me.

I know what they look like, I've used them, and I am definitely seeing a U87 in the pictures. It's said to be in good working condition.

We will see if it comes. I bought it on eBay, I'm in no danger. But I would sure love to have one.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fingers crossed here...

Post by DeathJag » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:51 am

Ooooooooohhhhhhh! Nice!

If I had any use for them professionally, I would own several. But my work only uses smaller diaphragm mics, mostly hypercardioid. I use the Schoeps CMC6 with the mk41 or mk21 heads for overheads haha!

It’s also pretty cool to read about you doing creative stuff with people after what you’ve been through. I am interested in what your creative expression sounds like.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:58 am

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:51 am
Ooooooooohhhhhhh! Nice!

If I had any use for them professionally, I would own several. But my work only uses smaller diaphragm mics, mostly hypercardioid. I use the Schoeps CMC6 with the mk41 or mk21 heads for overheads haha!

It’s also pretty cool to read about you doing creative stuff with people after what you’ve been through. I am interested in what your creative expression sounds like.
My small diaphragm condensers are Neumanns as well, the KM184. I got a very good deal on the first KM184, and didn't love it, still I bought another to use as a stereo pair. They are only OK microphones. I wonder how you would compare them to your Schoeps, if you are familiar.

We will see how the creative stuff pans out! My depression is lessening but I still need something. Had I known this person was a singer I would have been working with her well before now. She seems to like my finger style guitar playing so I'll write some music around that this weekend.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:46 pm

If it's a real U87 from the outside, the one thing to double-check would be that the capsule is original and undamaged. All the rest should be fine, or fixable (unlikely the transformer is damaged or cannibalized).

Worst-case, you might have to pay fairly steep prices for a new capsule from Neumann, but if the mic is a good deal even that should be no barrier.

Fingers crossed for you, and preemptive congrats on the (hopeful) score.

You can make an entire record with one U87 if you have to.

As proof of concept, this track was recorded during 2020 lockdown with me playing all instruments and literally recorded with just a single U87 (save for vocal, which was done a few months later on a silver 414 with brass CK12, which was a better match for her voice).

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 pm

I have not heard those Neumanns, but folks say Neumann are “brighter” and Schoeps are warmer than Neumanns. In film they use the KMR 81 and KMR 82 shotguns, and also KM 150 hypercardioids. The Schoeps definitely color their sound, they are not transparent. They add a wonderful warmth and yet the actual bass response is pretty mild. I’ve heard folks say they feel Neumann mics are far more transparent, and more crisp.

But nothing is ever compared to a U87 or U47!!!!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:12 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:46 pm
If it's a real U87 from the outside, the one thing to double-check would be that the capsule is original and undamaged. All the rest should be fine, or fixable (unlikely the transformer is damaged or cannibalized).

Yeah, thanks! I'll give it a look over, if it comes. Maybe I'll put up some gut shots, but then again, if it carries audio clearly it's probably OK. I guess it could be counterfeit inside or something.

At any rate, it's an eBay purchase using PayPal, so I am not worried about anything except not getting a great microphone. It'll be depressing to have to revert back to reading mixed reviews of the TLM103.

Although I guess I could get a C414, which I was also looking at, although I'm always confused by the lineup and have asked you to sort it out for me already. It didn't last so we might have to do it again.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:22 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:48 pm
I’ve heard folks say they feel Neumann mics are far more transparent, and more crisp.
Transparent, crisp and detailed would apply to the KM184, but it can also be harsh in my opinion. And frankly some of the detail it captures I don't want.

There's internet talk about how the KM184 was designed at the tail end of tape and so Neumann designed it to really capture a lot of high end detail that would have been useful in that medium but isn't wanted in the digital realm.

I can't say that's accurate, and the microphones aren't terrible, but there are better options out there I feel.

But, I'll be keeping mine, so how bad could they be, I guess.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 pm

I took a risk on mine about 20 years ago.
The only real issue on mine is the nub for the HPF switch is broken off. I just use toothpick or whatever to move it when I need to.

I really hope it works out for you!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:57 pm

Well, something is being shipped to me. So that ends the first worry, that it simply wasn't a real sale.

There's still the other worries, though, that it might be counterfeit. I think that I will have enough depth of knowledge here to catch that.

I guess there's still the worry that it won't work, or be destroyed in shipping, or disappear. I've been trying to think of what kind of scam this person might be trying to pull, I guess they could have shipped a known broken unit, insured it, and might be planning to declare that it broke during shipping. That's a hassle and a long shot but people do some weird shit to scam other people.

I have no real faith here, this is this eBay seller's only sale. Literally the first thing this person ever posted for sale.

Still, I guess if one gets a chance to buy a U87 for $800, and there's literally no risk, you gotta do it, huh?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:02 pm

just be sure that when you get that U87, you put some locking tuners on it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously- hoping that you're getting the real thing, because they are ballin'!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:09 am

Well, let's think this through, because I'm just not clear what the scam is.

There is a shipping number for FedEx, but nothing has actually been given to FedEx. I don't think anything will.

But what are they doing here? Is the hope that they can take the money, get it into their account, then close their account so that PayPal can't get the money back in some way? Can that work?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:10 am

I’ve heard of people sending an empty box instead so there’s a tracking number, and it becomes word-against-word that the item wasn’t received.

Maybe now they’re delaying in hopes they can run out the clock on PayPal’s statute of limitations?

IDK.

I suggest keeping a close eye on the timeframe to file a dispute, and also to document the opening of the box with photos and/or video

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:11 am

Yeah, running out the clock is all I can think of. But that's not going to work. Maybe it's time to get eBay involved with this so they can keep an eye on it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:37 am

Ah, well, the seller's account is gone, so this isn't happening. I will be refunded.

I wonder if they really get to keep the money in this scenario or if eBay can get it back in some way.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:28 am

Darn, too bad. But at least you knew it was a longshot going in. I believe eBay holds the money in escrow until the item is delivered. Since you never got it, seller should get nothing. The empty box scam is an attempt to get around that.