Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NMD

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:55 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Probably can’t mic an acoustic too close with it without it getting weird in mono, but I’ll experiment with it.

I’ll try to post some clips.
I was wondering about that, if it would be any good for acoustic guitars.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NMD - Superlux S502

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:12 pm

It’s here and it works! The seller claims it was only used once and it looks that way.

Did a very quick test with some Nashville tuned guitar and it sounds pretty good, but have not had a chance to check mono compatibility yet.

With acoustic I’m guessing there’s going to be a sweet spot for placement where there isn’t too much room in the sound and not a ton of preamp gain is needed/too high a noise floor, but far enough back that it isn’t weird in mono.

One superficial thing about it that’s cool is it’s small and light and very innocuous looking. It’s not an intimidating mic to be around, and the lightness will be a real plus for getting it up high on a boom stand.

Build quality seems… ok. Nothing remarkable, but it seems like it could take few licks. My only real complaint is the supplied 5 pin - dual 3 pin cable is really short which seems like it will add weight/place strain on the connections almost any time it’s put on a stand.