Recommend an inexpensive keyboard for me

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
John Taverna
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Recommend an inexpensive keyboard for me

Post by John Taverna » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:17 am

...I'd buy a vintage analog synth (Korg, Roland, Yamaha...), some are pretty cheap...
... or, yep, the microKorg, good analog modeling synth (even though sound editing is a bit odd)...

http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html ;)

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:49 am

flatfiver wrote: Ah, crap salad.  I was looking at 'em maybe a year ago and they were going for around $300-$350. :(
Check out this Juno 60 in Germany - just sold for US $ 1125!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0086019833
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:23 am

Weird - I have seen them sell vintage Junos for $400 at the local guitar center - and they normally overprice everything. 

...I always thought you could retrofit MIDI on those Juno keyboards - doesn's someone offer a conversion kit?  I could have sworn I heard about something like that...

...as far as other vintage stuff goes...I have never heard the newer Roland SH-201, but the older Roland SH-101 is the bee's knees.  It's really fantastic - I know it's a mono synth, but it's so thick you don't need polyphony - it just sounds deep.  On ebay they are still reasonable.  My bass player got his(the one that has been at my house for the last two months) for $150...on ebay I think they go for a little more, but still reasonable.

...for newer stuff I would also recommend the Creamware modules - they have one that simulates a Moog, a Prophet, and B3.  I think they even have cheaper rack driven ones too - I have played with their software versions and they are pretty cool sounding.  Don't count them out and if you find one used on ebay, you might get a deal.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:34 pm

An old friend of mine sold his Juno about 2 years back. I can't believe he sold it, it was such a cool old analogue keyboard. He helped me make an entire animation soundtrack with it. We got helicopter noises, snoring, bird-song..all sorts out of it. Its used in a band still but they just use it as a straight keyboard. They just like that retro look. Wankers!!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.