GarageBand.....

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

GarageBand.....

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:21 am

OK. I've posted a different thread on Amplitube but its a bit...empty still.

Anyone use GarageBand??? If so whats the deal. Specifically can you play guitar directly into it??
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: GarageBand.....

Post by jetset » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:37 am

It's a pretty awesome little program for the price (free with a Mac.)  You still need a USB analog/digital converter to plug a guitar/mic/etc. into.  It has some perfectly serviceable amp modelers built in.  I did most of the guitars on this track using it:

http://www.thejennifers.com/starshine.mp3

The newest version allows multitrack simultaneous recording, but again, you'll need an interface with that many inputs.  Editing, looping, mastering are all dead simple.  Give it a try.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:44 am

My album was recorded in GarageBand- it's amp models are pretty decent as are it's plug-ins.  GB will also work with GuitarRig and Amplitube and just about any other AU plug-in.  It's a powerful program that's dead easy to use.  The only downside is that it records 16-bit audio, so you don't get the lastest hi-tech sheen on your recordings.  That said, mastering in a 24-bit audio editor can shine things up quite a bit, especially if you use something like  T-RackS.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:55 am

:)  Fantastic. Can you suggest any good USB analog/digital converters?? Expensive or not??
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 pm

I've just started using Garageband .. it is incredibly simple to use, but with a lot more capability than I've needed yet.

I'm using a M Audio Mobile Pre USB .. plugs into a USB port, needs no separate power source, takes mic or line (incl guitar) inputs, has phantom power and can supply two channels at once. I think they're regarded as a fairly cheap & cheerful option, but it's working very well for me so far.

I have been laying down guide tracks for a couple of songs just using guitar straight in through the M Audio, and it actually sounds quite good although I intend to mic up amps for most of the final guitar tracks. 

(BTW I've moved this to Recording.)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:55 pm

jazzheadmark wrote: :)  Fantastic. Can you suggest any good USB analog/digital converters?? Expensive or not??
I used a Griffin iMic for all my stuff!

I've moved up to a Logic/MOTU ultralite rig now, tho'.  If you've got a firewire port, I'd use it for an audio interface.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:53 pm

+1 on the M Audio Mobile Pre USB.  I've been using mine for a few years.  No issues.  I also have a M-Audio keyboard 49e for midi keyboard input.  Works great with GarageBand.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:52 am

For the best quality you definitely want to use an audio interface - and there are a number of great choices out there.  For ultra high quality DI guitars - I use a Demeter Tube DI box into my audio interface.

That said,  IF your mac has a built in mic or 1/8 audio input you can use them as well without an interface  - the audio input works well with a instrument adapter like this - you can plug your guitar right in to your computer  - it works well on the road and it sure is cost effective.  The monster version is better than ones from Radioshack or similar. Audio quality is surprisingly good. The built in mic is cool for a lo-fi effect on vocals or acostic instruments ....

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... 9106LL%2FA

There are also a huge number of emerging USB mics - I haven't used one yet - keep tuned to that as well.
Last edited by lalalandstudios on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...