I need firewire interface recommendations

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Re: I need firewire interface recommendations

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:28 pm

I stopped by GC today to look at what they had and there was a used Tascam US-144 under the counter for $120 so I snagged that.. it's USB 2.0 so I should be alright. My only gripe so far is that after dl'ing the drivers it still won't get picked up when plugged in.. I have to manually go into system preferences and select it for the input and output.. while that works it says they have no input or output control and a few times it's just switched from that to my built in speakers or itunes stops playing and won't play again until I restart it

any idea what the problem is?  ???

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:00 pm

daydreamdelay wrote: I stopped by GC today to look at what they had and there was a used Tascam US-144 under the counter for $120 so I snagged that.. it's USB 2.0 so I should be alright. My only gripe so far is that after dl'ing the drivers it still won't get picked up when plugged in.. I have to manually go into system preferences and select it for the input and output.. while that works it says they have no input or output control and a few times it's just switched from that to my built in speakers or itunes stops playing and won't play again until I restart it

any idea what the problem is?  ???
...check the USB connection - you may have a cable with a short or a bad USB port.  I have had a similar problem with my firewire interface but it's because I have that crappy 4 pin firewire port that gets screwy pretty easily. 

...also, the software(Cubase) won't automatically detect the hardware - it's made to work with several units at once so you must manually choose it in the hardware settings but normally it saves the hardware device last assosciated with a file so if you had used the US-144 on a project and returned to it a few days later with the US-144 plugged in, it should already be "set up"...
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:42 am

I've tried both ports and I'm still having the problem and have never experienced this before with my other (usb) interfaces.. I jiggled the cord a bit while it was working and it kept going fine so I assume that's ok. For some reason it's causing itunes to stop playing.. it doesn't shut it down, just pauses it without actually pausing.. if I pull the cable out of the ibook it'll immediately start playing again through the built in speakers. The same thing is happening while streaming or watching videos on youtube. No matter how many times I set the preference to the Tascam it'll default back to the built in speakers in the middle of playing a song or just pause the song or video until it's unplugged

what the hell is going on?!  ???  :'(

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

I looked it up and apparently this is a common problem, they just haven't come up with drivers that work well with OSX.. guess I'll have to return it  :(

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 pm

ah...OS X....I forgot about that...what a drag - I'm sorry  :(
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:08 pm

it's cool I took it back and they gave me a straight up exchange for a new Lexicon Lambda which is really nice and worked straight away.. though it still doesn't pick up stuff like youtube and myspace, just defaults to the built in speakers  ???

it's pretty nice.. though of course a m audio interface just showed up on my local CL for $50  ::)

didn't have midi though but damn.. $50!

TheMilford
Expat
Expat

Post by TheMilford » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Maggieo wrote: I really like my MOTU Ultralite.
I have the 828 MkII and it's amazing... the Ultralite is probably a fantastic deal.

Maggie are you running DP?
http://seasonfinale.bandcamp.com/
http://www.tronographic.com/

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:51 pm

TheMilford wrote:
Maggieo wrote: I really like my MOTU Ultralite.
I have the 828 MkII and it's amazing... the Ultralite is probably a fantastic deal.

Maggie are you running DP?
Nope.  Logic Pro.  It's awesome.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.