Re: Just dumped the computer - going to 8 track analog!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Marc
Expat
Expat

Just dumped the computer - going to 8 track analog!

Post by Marc » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:18 am

Yep - missed the sound we used to get with tape and today a near mint one owner Tascam 1/2 inch eight track came up near to me for not much. I have found a source of new tape as well.  :)

So I'm hoping to be more creative with this setup - using an Akai MPC 60 (old school 12 bit sampling drum machine) for rhythm parts. Essentially with this setup I will not be using a computer. I've grown tired of being 'sucked' into a computer screen for music.

I guess if it doesn't work out I can always sell it again.

Wish me luck!
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:39 pm

I can totally identify with this...I have to really force myself to ignore the gazillion features in DAWs...it's just too much to keep up with if your suppose to be writing music rather than spending forever recording it.  I haven't got to analog tape yet(make sure to clean & calibrate the machine) but I limit my options as much as I can with dictaphones and most recently with the Zoom H4 4 track I got.  I would like to make the jump to analog tape one day through...maybe if I could find a nice Otari 8 track - I think Olivia Tremor Control did all there stuff on one of these...
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:50 pm

The Otari MX-5050 is one of the most solid and easiest to maintain 8 track machines ever made. All of those Elephant 6 bands worshiped at the alter of the MX-5050. I routinely see these all over the internet for around $500 to $1000 depending on condition

The Tascam TSR-8 is another bulletproof 8 track deck. It's a bit more compact than the Otari and it doesn't have XLR in's and out's, just RCA. But still, it's a fantastic sounding machine and can be had for way less than a $1000

The Fostex R8 is another awesome analog 8 track that can be found for peanuts. Fostex has always been an interesting company in that instead of coming up with original designs they just improve upon the designs of other companies...to great effect too. This may be the best value out there these days.

I strongly prefer working on analog, especially for drums and bass. A lot of the work I've done is with a hybrid setup that includes and 8 or 16 track analog deck synced to a Pro Tools or Digital Performer rig with SMPTE time code. A very flexible way to work. I like to work with limitations as making judicious decisions is a whole lot easier. As much as I like editing with a razor blade, the ease of digital editing is unmistakable. Viva La Analog!
Last edited by tremolite on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pedal Pusher

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:14 pm

tremolite wrote: The Otari MX-5050 is one of the most solid and easiest to maintain 8 track machines ever made. All of those Elephant 6 bands worshiped at the alter of the MX-5050. I routinely see these all over the internet for around $500 to $1000 depending on condition
...and I worship the Elephant 6 bands.  Therefore transitive property suggests...

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 pm

glimmertwin wrote: ...and I worship the Elephant 6 bands.  Therefore transitive property suggests...
You like that band Essex Green? Got to see them live a number of years ago...great show. Their recordings sound sweet too...
Pedal Pusher

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:56 am

Thanks guys!

Yes the TSR-8 has a great rep. The Fostex is 1/4" though.

The good news is that tape is being manufactured again by RMG... so no worries there.

Also big console desks are sooooo cheap on eBay at the moment!

Wishing I hadn't sold all my outboard now  ::)
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:51 pm

tremolite wrote:
glimmertwin wrote: ...and I worship the Elephant 6 bands.  Therefore transitive property suggests...
You like that band Essex Green? Got to see them live a number of years ago...great show. Their recordings sound sweet too...
...you know I heard them a little but I never got into them as much...probably should revisit it.  I think I discovered the Animal Collective/Panda Bear when I was diggin on the Elephant 6 and got a little distracted.  I'm going to dig up some more stuff and listen to them so more - thanks!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:30 pm

I love that stuff but have only just scratched the surface of it so far - I have Dusk At Cubist Castle and Black Foliage, excellent albums .. where to next, Neutral Milk Hotel?

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Who Ran The Iron Horse?
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Who Ran The Iron Horse? » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:23 am

NMH cannot be recommended enough. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is my favourite album ever. I've been devouring bootlegs of theirs like crazy too. They were really excellent live...according to mp3s and videos. A little before my  time though.  :'(
Don't you know that's sinful boy?

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:25 am

I have some new and used reel to reels going on eBay soon. I'll post a link in the for sale section when they're on.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:10 pm

mezcalhead wrote: I love that stuff but have only just scratched the surface of it so far - I have Dusk At Cubist Castle and Black Foliage, excellent albums .. where to next, Neutral Milk Hotel?

:)
Circulatory System is where I would go next...Sunshine Fix, Apples in Stereo, and Secret Square...that should get you started.  I never really got into Neutral Milk Hotel - for whatever reason it never really grabbed me like it did everyone else...

greenlander
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by greenlander » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Essex Green is great, especially their first album. I was really heavy into all the Elephant 6 bands a few years ago. My favorite of all of them was The Minders. Great songs...plus the singer sounds a lot like John Lennon.
you give me flowers but it's thorns i give to you

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:01 pm

tremolite wrote: The Otari MX-5050 is one of the most solid and easiest to maintain 8 track machines ever made. All of those Elephant 6 bands worshiped at the alter of the MX-5050. I routinely see these all over the internet for around $500 to $1000 depending on condition
You can pick these up a lot cheaper than that.
I used to have one.. the rubber around the pinch roller disintegrated and I upgraded to protools..
I pretty much gave it away.. Tape was fun.. but not anymore
'cleanest, best pleasure'

SlowNerveAction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SlowNerveAction » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:53 pm

The formula for my current recording situation goes something like this -

Lack of computing power + severe lack of money + subconcious love of the lo-fi + DIY ethic =

I couldn't be happier.  8)

planes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planes » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:10 pm

I don't think I could record to tape.

I am so used to software that it's sad.