Boss Micro BR digital recorder

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Boss Micro BR digital recorder

Post by 1946dodge » Thu May 24, 2007 7:49 pm

I just got one of these today. The girl at GC sold me a One Spot power adaptor with it.
It itakes 2 AA batteries, so I thought the damn thing needed 3 volts, not 9 as the One Spot gives.
Incidently the One Spot is awesome for pedals since you can daisy chain the output cable and run 4 or 5 pedals with one One Spot, and the One Spot is small.
Well I returned the One Spot, and the guy said he will order me a power adaptor from Boss/Roland.
Then I read further in the instruction book and it said their adaptor was a PSA type, and gave no voltage output.
Turns out that it is 9 volts. So tomorrow I will go and get the one spot back. I looked on the One Spot website and it said it was compatible witih all PSA run pedals.

Anyway, I tried out the little hand held digital recorder. You can record, bounce 4 tracks, and convert them to either WAV or MP3 files right in the device, and then upload them to a computer.
Of course you need a mini to normal usb cable which isnt supplied.

Even though these things pissed me off, it looks like a handy userful unit.

Anyone out there have one? They also have rythim and drums and amp and effects models if you want them.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Boss Micro BR digital recorder

Post by mezcalhead » Thu May 24, 2007 10:55 pm

1946dodge wrote: It itakes 2 AA batteries, so I thought the damn thing needed 3 volts, not 9 as the One Spot gives. .. Turns out that it is 9 volts.
I guess it reduces the voltage inside the unit before using it?

I think Glimmertwin uses something similar ..  a little handheld recorder, kinda like an music idea sketchpad. Cool concept.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu May 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Good memory - I do have the Zoom H4 and still love it!  It's an incredibly useful songwriting tool for me when the moment is the important thing and I don't want to fool with all the mess of mics, signal routing, latency, etc.  It records band practice, gigs, song ideas, conversations, etc.  I love mine. It also has the 4 track things built in where I can use the built in stero mics or use the XLRs/line signal inputs.  At the time, it was one of only a few such cheap(less than $500) portable recording devices but I have noticed quite a few more in the last few months like thar BR recorder...hope it works out for you!
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri May 25, 2007 9:07 am

I had a boss BR-8 that recorded to Zip disk, and I loved it. It died after years of use and abuse, and I replaced it with a Fostex 16 track. The Boss units have a really intuitive set up, and I loved that I could plug in, pick and an effect/amp patch that I had created and get my idea out in a few seconds. It was also really cool to be able to record a part with a drum track, then cut and paste it into the proper form. Sometimes you have an idea and you want to get it down as quick as possible, and not have to mess with setting up mics, checking levels, and then breaking everything back down when you are done.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:48 am

Yes my wife just bought me a boss micro br so i can record stuff while sorting the 'studio room' out - we are renovating our home . It is very useful and fairly quick... just need to spend more time with it to 'click'. I like the phrase trrainer and FX are decent. It's good fun - I only intend to use it as a sketchpad rather than getting into the more in depth editing/bouncing etc. I will use as purely as a 4 track.

I'm not too keen on the drums so will probably just use the metronome. Annoyingly the accent on the metronome at the beginning of each bar is a chime which sounds like a cash register! I louder accented click would have been a lot better IMO.

I am hoping to collaborate with someone a couple hundred miles away - he has one so we will be posting our ideas via the camera cards.... we are too lazy to FTP!

Thanks
Last edited by Marc on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.