Re: Recording JMs

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't have a JM yet, though it's definatley in the plans (hence quite a few ODR ideas from me)............

As for my setup, This is my basic chain

Instruments - Effects - Behringer V-Amp Pro - Quartz Audiomaster Freeware - DBpoweramp - Soundclick/Myspace/Anotherprofile

As for instruments that includes...
Guitars (12) - Main ones used are my 96' Jag-Stang with EMG P.U.'s, 97' Jaguar with Cool Rails, 84' Kramer Focus 3000 w/ EMG Selects, and a Squier 7-String stagemaster

Basses (2) - B.C. Rich Ironbird (P-Bass in a quasi Explorer pointy body with 24 frets), and a Segovia Musicmaster/Yamaha style hybrid bass (2 HBKRS)

Keyboards (2) - A Casio SK-1 (usually used to sample guitar chords and play them back), a Casio PT-82 (circuit bent oddity kids synth, rewired to have doube the octave range, it sounds like an Atari 2600 game so it's easy to pick out)

And I bypass the V-amp for drums using a Yamaha PSR-275 Synth, I also use it for some of the more "formal" synth parts.  This one has stereo separation, built in chorus, and reverb, and effects, so I don't need the outboard V-Amp stuff.

All this is direct input via Line In and recorded in Stereo.  As of late I record rhythm guitar first, bass next, then the synthesized drums (played like regular drums on the yamaha bypassed the V-Amp), and then I layer the leads and other synths over the top.
It's Me

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:23 pm

I don't have a JM but I record my strat straight through the pre-amps in my EMU 1820M into Sonar. I usually use Nomad Rock Legends or Guitar Rig 2. The secret is layering and THICK strings! I get great sounds this way and lots of questions about how I got such a big guitar sound. I don't think I could get a better guitar sound with a real amp in the room I use.ß

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:00 pm

I record my JM and, of course, my Les Paul studio running them  thru my Fx chain and then to my HotRod deluxe or my brother's Marshall jcm900 non-reverb version..then i run the signal to my desktop pc by the "send" output of the amp ..the sound card is a creative audigy 2zs platinum..for software I use guitar rig 2 for the speaker cabinet  emulation, I find it very versatile and real sounding. No other EQs or reverb plug-ins are used, I don't like to change the sound anyway.
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

cpeck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cpeck » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:58 pm

Jazzmaster into any tube amp I have access to at the time.  LDC/SM-57/Beyer Ribbon Mic into the shitty pre's on the Digi002 into Pro Tools 7.0.
Band: http://www.kestrels.ca | Record Label: http://www.noyesrecords.com | Solo: http://weneedsecrets.bandcamp.com

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:33 am

I've spent the last couple of days recording our band for a university project - we basically have to come up with a full recording using "pop" recording techniques.

We had to get a taxi over with our stuff, so we only brought one amp - my Fender Blues Deluxe, and we used a Neumann TLM 170R in cardioid mode and an AKG 414 in cardioid mode up close to the amp, straight at the speaker. We also set up another TLM 170R and AKG 414 about 4 feet back, and set both mics to Omni mode. We tried to stick a DPA 4004 up at the front in between the Neumann and the AKG, but there were problems with the line and we were running out of time so we dropped the idea.

We were using a Pro Tools HD2 system, too.

I haven't mixed the track properly or anything yet, but i'm pretty pleased with the sound so far. I'll post some sound samples and stuff when the track's all done.

Has anyone used the AKG 414's before? I think they've become my favourite mic, I find them to be really versatile.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:59 am

chrisjedijane wrote: Has anyone used the AKG 414's before? I think they've become my favourite mic, I find them to be really versatile.
We used them at the studio I interned at and they always sounded fantastic- clear and bell-like guitar and vocal tones, but with a warmth that only the big Neumanns could match.  I would think they'd be really good paired with a DAW and a decent tube pre.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:56 am

Maggieo wrote:
chrisjedijane wrote: Has anyone used the AKG 414's before? I think they've become my favourite mic, I find them to be really versatile.
We used them at the studio I interned at and they always sounded fantastic- clear and bell-like guitar and vocal tones, but with a warmth that only the big Neumanns could match.  I would think they'd be really good paired with a DAW and a decent tube pre.
yeah definitely, I was using them through a focusrite ISA 220, and they sounded really really good :)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:12 am

chrisjedijane wrote: yeah definitely, I was using them through a focusrite ISA 220, and they sounded really really good :)
I would think that setup would be great!  I'm hoping that a modded MK-219 from Oktavamod  ( http://www.oktavamod.com )will come close, as I don't quite have the scratch to go with the $1,000 mics.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:06 am

i really like the look of those Oktavamods actually, what price range are they?

I can't afford $1000 mics (or any mics!) either, our university provides them. It's pretty cool actually, we have a huge range of top-quality mics available to us for recording and stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:54 am

chrisjedijane wrote: i really like the look of those Oktavamods actually, what price range are they?

I can't afford $1000 mics (or any mics!) either, our university provides them. It's pretty cool actually, we have a huge range of top-quality mics available to us for recording and stuff.
I think the MK-219 goes for right around $200US.  I'm going back and forth between them and a Cascade FatHead Ribbon- both got stellar reviews in Tape Op and are around the same price.  I have more experience with LDCs than ribbons, so the Oktavamod is prolly my first choice.  (the FatHead looks pretty awesome, tho')

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:36 pm

I may have found my next mic.

The TapeOp review was just as enthusiastic.  A U-47 for $600?  Sign me up.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

When I have someplace I can crank an amp to record I use a peavey sm57 copy placed about 2 feet from the amp. I also use the behrenger v-amp alot when I want clarity on FX parts. Or direct in to the guitar input on the fostex for really fuzzy parts. I just usually experiment with different things, as long as I get the sound I am after I don't care where it comes from.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:43 am

OK, I can give a proper answer since I've started doing some recording now: guitar through amp, close miked with a cheap Behringer condenser mike, through a M Audio Mobile Pre USB to a Macbook Pro running Garageband.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:40 am

Maggieo wrote:
chrisjedijane wrote: i really like the look of those Oktavamods actually, what price range are they?

I think the MK-219 goes for right around $200US.  I'm going back and forth between them and a Cascade FatHead Ribbon- both got stellar reviews in Tape Op and are around the same price.  I have more experience with LDCs than ribbons, so the Oktavamod is prolly my first choice.  (the FatHead looks pretty awesome, tho')
Well, thanks to my generous pal Mikey, I now own an OktavaMod MK-219! (click for pix)  I haven't got a chance to record anything with it yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:31 am

computer mike. i know, its lame