Noobie!

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
BenHagerty

Noobie!

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:13 am

I decided it would be fun to start recording some stuff and messing around with that because I am starting a band. Where to begin? lol  :-\

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Noobie!

Post by pullover » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:40 am

That depends on what you want to do, and how much money you have. I would suggest getting something with a minimum of 4 tracks of simultaneous recording for a full band, though I've gotten by with just 2.
The thing that really made my recordings go from "meh" to 'Yeah" was getting a mixer, and some decent (they don't have to be expensive) microphones.
Alesis and Yamaha both make mixers that have USB outs, one of those with free recording software (krystal or reaper or the CUBASE LE program that comes with them) on your computer would probably be the quickest cheapest route.
I bought a cheap set of drum mics, I use the 3 of the mics on the drums (the kick mic and the two condenser mics for overheads) and I use the other mics for guitars and vocals.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:02 am

Right now, basically all I am looking for it getting my guitar on my computer and not sounding ultra sucky

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:32 pm

BenHagerty wrote: Right now, basically all I am looking for it getting my guitar on my computer and not sounding ultra sucky
Just guitar?  I would get a simple USB interface with the included software, and use something like a Sennheiser e609 mic for the cab.  Or you could buy one of those cheap Behringer Vamp pod things, and record with headphones.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:39 pm

If all you want is guitar, you can run from the headphone out on a practice amp into the audio line in on your computer and use Krystal Audio/Reaper. You could also use a cheap mic plugged into the same amp for vocal. You may run into latency issues, I have tried to record like that, and the audio that I recorded came out about 2 and 1/3 seconds late and even though you can move the recording around I could never get it to come out right. But if all you want to do is get your idea down then that's probably the cheapest way to do it.
Those behringer Vamps like RumorsOFsurF was talking about are really cheap, though I have no idea about how they sound or stand up. Behringer products seam to be hit or miss. I have had tons of Behringer stuff and it all works/ sounds great, but I heard horror stories.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:44 pm

My band's other guitar player had one of those V-amps, and he actually gigged it a few times.  It held up very well, and sounded just as good as any Line6 Pod I've played...For 100 bucks, you can't go wrong. ;)
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 pm

Links please, I have no idea what you are talking about lolz