Some very rough demos

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Some very rough demos

Post by El Pr0n » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm

Thought I might stick some of my demos up here for public consumption, just finished a new one (Rocky, Part Two), and I was pretty happy with it, so I figured why not?

First thing's first - the quality is terrible, and I can only apologise for that. I don't have the money for some proper gear, I should be tackling that problem sometime in August. I just really wanted to get some of my ideas down.
I'm using Audacity, and that really crappy, generic mic that comes with an old Dell computer. Playing a Fender acoustic and a Squier strat into a Fender Frontman amp. Truly the crappiest of crappy setups, I know!

http://www.myspace.com/captainwowahi

So I'm looking for feedback on the song, if anyone could give me some, I'd really appreciate it - you never know, you might even enjoy it  :P
What should I be looking for to start my recording gear? I don't know too much about recording, but I really want to take a DIY approach to it.

Cheers,
El Pr0n
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Some very rough demos

Post by pullover » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:59 pm

I think it sound pretty good! You got the idea out, and you work well within your limitations. I like rocky part two the best. I think the songs are strong, which is the real important part. The only advice I can give is to keep it up! No need to apologize for the quality, remember some of the best albums were recorded with shit equipment. Back in the early days they had one mic in a room and the entire band would all stand around it and play, and there were no overdubs, so you're miles ahead of our forefathers! Piece your equipment together as you go. I would suggest you work first and foremost at getting your live act/ sound reinforcement together, and then add bits of recording equipment on top as you go.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:29 am

Not bad, I'd rather listen to those songs than lots of stuff done in full studios. Keep it up!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:28 am

Cool, so I should get all my guitar gear sorted? That's what I wanted to hear  :P

Thanks, I'll do my best  :)
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.