Speak to me of soundcards

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Speak to me of soundcards

Post by djetz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:19 am

Or possibly USB external audio interfaces.

I've been using an M-Audio Delta 66 for years, and it's great. However, I'm going to be putting together another computer at some point, so I'll have two computers. Ideally, I'd like to be able to record on both.

So, the question is: another Delta 66? Something else from M-Audio? Something from someone else? I can't afford anything more upmarket than the Delta 66, and I'd prefer something cheaper, but I'm out of the loop (pun alert!) on soundcards. I've been concentrating on G U I T A R for for a long time. So, you whippersnappers, what's cool in the inexpensive soundcard market these days?

PC only, Macs give me headaches.
-=264=-

idiotbear

Re: Speak to me of soundcards

Post by idiotbear » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:06 am

I have an Art Tube USB. It rules - a valve pre-amp with a USB 2 connection.

haledixon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haledixon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:15 am

i'd stick with the delta66. i've got 2 delta44s and can't see how they could be much better (well if they were 66's i guess that would be ok) - my point is, they're relatively cheap compared to the newer stuff, but solid. also the deltas are cross platform, so mac, pc, makes no matter.

that said i have my eye on a motu ultralite but that's because ive moved to a laptop.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:44 am

Thanks for replies.

I have an ART Tube MP, that's what I use for a pre-amp when I need one. ART stuff is good, I agree.

The Delta 66 does what I want it to do, and I'm used to working with it. It seems a little unimaginative to just buy another one, though. I use the SPDIF, and that's the only difference between the 44 and the 66. I guess I just need to keep looking until I find one that seems right to me.

Any other thoughts? Opinions?
-=264=-

haledixon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haledixon » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:46 pm

dont fix it if it aint broke. :)

Oyster Boy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Oyster Boy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:19 pm

I'm not big on using sound cards for recording. If you ask me I'd say if you are going to do home recording, do it right.

I'm a fan of Pro Tools for an audio program (probobly because I learn and use it just about every day for my major), but the problem is you need a digi design interface to get it to work, and I personally hate digi design interfaces.

But anyway, I digress, What I'd suggest is investing the 500 bucks for a Firepod by presonus. It's an excellent interface, gives you pleanty of inputs and outputs, and it comes with cubase, a pretty good recording program. Oh and the customer support for presonus is AWESOME. you could try and find one scratch and dent for cheaper too, my friend brent did it. He recorded his whole album with it, in a dorm room/ his attic, and it sound really great. It's probobly the best interface you can get, and relativly affordable.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:27 pm

Thanks, Oyster Boy, I'll do some research on Presonus. I'm in no hurry to buy, just looking at my options so far. Might be a bit too "pro" for my budget, but it's worth a look.

haledixon - dont fix it if it aint broke. Good point. That occurred to me also, I just want to have a good look around before I make a choice.
-=264=-

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:45 pm

Backing up what Oyster Boy said - I get much better results with the Art Tube interface than I ever did with my superduper-anal-audiopile Terratec card. But that's probably as much to do with the fact that I junked my PC for a Mac...

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:18 pm

Oyster Boy wrote:But anyway, I digress, What I'd suggest is investing the 500 bucks for a Firepod by presonus.
Make that 400. I've been thinking about one of these too and they just went on sale at MF.
Bigger in sum than parts.

HeartfeltDawn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HeartfeltDawn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:38 pm

I personally hate anything that's Firewire. I had a Yamaha O1X and it's by far the shittiest piece of musical gear I've ever owned. Sod Behringer, the 01X has dreadful software, is a shit to get to sync up with your PC and the mixing interface and is generally unhelpful at every given opportunity. The Tascam FW1802 mixer interface I bought afterwards was lovely but the thought came over me: why have this big mixer? DO I use it? So I sold the pair, made some money off them and went back to M-Audio PCI cards. I've now got a Delta 44 in machine 2 (my demos and games machine) and a Delta 66 with Omni front end in the other and neither of them have given me any hassle whatsoever.

To me, all you have to ask with sound cards is: is it reliable? Does it crackle? Does it give me enough ins and outs? Bundled software isn't worth considering, I'm far happier running Reaper than I was with Cubase as Reaper's a far better piece of gear. The Omni front end on the Delta 66 gives enough pre-amps and whatnot for bedroom messing. Nothing further needed. With that old PCI card, I've not sworn at it once unlike that bastard 01X :)

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:18 am

If you wanna hear some results from the Art Tube USB, here are some....

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:20 pm

I also recommend Sonar --- I think it's just as good as pro tools.  I spend most of my time playing in Ableton live, but its not as powerful for recording as Sonar and Pro Tools but I'm hopeful that someday it will take the lead.

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:35 pm

Oh, I thought I would also add that Pro Tools is just a real snob appeal program.  It has a history, it used to be the best thing out there by far when the digital revolution began --- and pro tools has been squeezing the blood out of that achievement.  Pabst Blue Ribbon beer apparently won a blue ribbon at one stage in it's life but you don't see beer connoisseurs still ranting about it's greatness!

As oysterboy said, you have to have a digidesign interface... This is absolutely ludicrous and monopoly-esque, and I hate them for that. Secondly, their plug-in support is horrible.  You have to have a pro tools designed plugin for it to function properly, and to buy the IDENTICLE plugin you are going to pay more for it.  I was just looking at an amp modeler plugin that was $50 more for the same plugin for the pro tools model.  Are you starting to see where some of the snob appeal comes from?

Pro Tools  has become a symbol for people who don't know how to gauge a studio's quality.  This REALLY does happen, I interned at a studio this summer:  a project manager will call the studio and ask if they have pro tools.  And just because of THAT question is why the studio I was at had pro tools.....a pro tools machine we didn't use and sat in the corner.  My guess is the thought pattern is: ahh pro tools has a reputation of greatness and it is very expensive to own and upgrade --- this must be a successful studio because they can afford it.

I don't really know how this post turned into a rant, so i will shut up now.

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by djetz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:32 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: I don't really know how this post turned into a rant, so i will shut up now.
Actually, your rant pretty much agreed with everything I've heard and seen of Pro Tools. I think you're bang on the money.
-=264=-

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:06 am

I use two ART PRO MPAs into FIREFACE 400 external sound cxard , with samplitude claasic software

what can I say ... it was recommended by my sound pc man 6 months back when my pc  system died after 7 years and the remixes I done since then and the nbew recordings are truly superb
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...