So i just got a Moog

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: So i just got a Moog

Post by glimmertwin » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:51 pm

...I bought a Moog earlier this year - a Little Phatty.  It's super dope.  While not quite as flexible as the software minimoog variants(no effects, no polyphony, the 3rd Osc), it really is a great sounding board for bass lines & leads.  My only complaint is it's sometimes hard to just go through patches and play in a live band setting because the oscillators sometimes make patches sounds incredibly out of tune with everyone else.  It's just how oscillators work, but I find it much harder to make sounds more than just bass & lead work for me with added chordal instruments in the mix. 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:57 pm

Yeah, the little phatty looks great. I'm not bothered by the lack of poly though, the Minimoog never had poly anyway, and I always find myself using the arturia in mono mode :)

My friend has a Moog Rogue, I guess it was kinda the equivalent of the LP back in the day - it's kinda limited, but a great wee synth.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:00 pm

glimmertwin wrote: ...I bought a Moog earlier this year - a Little Phatty.  It's super dope.  While not quite as flexible as the software minimoog variants(no effects, no polyphony, the 3rd Osc), it really is a great sounding board for bass lines & leads.  My only complaint is it's sometimes hard to just go through patches and play in a live band setting because the oscillators sometimes make patches sounds incredibly out of tune with everyone else.  It's just how oscillators work, but I find it much harder to make sounds more than just bass & lead work for me with added chordal instruments in the mix. 
I've heard good things about it, except that the giant Bob Moog signature seems kinda tacky. The effects actually suck, even compared to the free chorus and delay plugins you can find anywhere, but i could never do without polyphony, i really like playing huge sounding double-octave chords.

Also, if you have a good filter(i use this one: http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD010) you can get some very nice flute sounds.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 am

I like the track .. you should do some more stuff like that!

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:08 am

Thanks(the only honest compliments come from strangers). Now that i listen to it more than 24 hours after writing it i'm actually kinda bored, so i'm off to come up with something that has a little more drums and guitars, but the massive reverb stays(Yeah, i'm a huge Mazzy Star fan).
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:31 pm

Pingu wrote: (Yeah, i'm a huge Mazzy Star fan).
Me too. So Tonight That I Might See is one of my very favourite records. I was watching "House" the other day, and they used "Into Dust" as incidental music. The show instantly went up in my estimation.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:40 pm

idiotbear wrote:
Pingu wrote: (Yeah, i'm a huge Mazzy Star fan).
Me too. So Tonight That I Might See is one of my very favourite records. I was watching "House" the other day, and they used "Into Dust" as incidental music. The show instantly went up in my estimation.
Their music appears quite frequently in shows and movies, which must be nice financially for Sandoval and Roback considering that they seem to do very little work these days. There is a movie with Edward Norton called "Down In The Valley" that i've been planning to see for the longest while, apparently it features a bunch of their songs.

planes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by planes » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:54 pm

I have used this infrequently it isn't by far my favorite soft synth,  and I don't know how faithful the reproduction is.

I'm persoanlly a huge fan of absynth