First real recording...

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

First real recording...

Post by MTLasater » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 pm

My band recorded five songs back in a small studio in late July, and while we haven't gotten all the recordings back yet, the guy who recorded us put one of the songs he'd finished mastering on his studio's Myspace page.  We're thinking of making an EP out of the recordings, and I'm curious to hear if y'all think that's worth doing.  The song is called "Peace Be With You."

www.myspace.com/handsewn
I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin.  But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: First real recording...

Post by ugly casanova » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:18 am

it sounds okay to me but i don't like how the guitar sounds. it sounds like it's going straight into the mixer  :k
sorry for my rough critics  :(

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:29 am

I really like "Cumulus", though it could use a bit more reverb.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MTLasater » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Cumulus isn't one of ours.  And unfortunately we didn't have a lot of money to spend on a real studio.  I didn't even realize this at the time, but the guy recording us is still in high school.  :-\

Do you think mastering at a different studio might help?  I don't know if there's even a point to that.  The main point of the recordings was to have something to put on our Myspace page to show who we really are (our old stuff on there was just the other guitarist and I dicking around with banjos and open fire hydrants.)  :D
I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin.  But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to.

MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MTLasater » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:14 pm

Also, thanks for the feedback.  You can't really get accurate feedback from your friends, since they're, you know, your friends.  haha

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:14 am

okay, so you mean we should look at it as a demo.  :)

i think the problem is just the guitar on the left speaker. maybe it helps if you tell us which guitar and amp you used.

the mix in general is okay, so is the mastering. i think the problem is just the amp setting or the guitar because the one on the intro sounds just too thin and too fuzzy

MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MTLasater » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:34 am

We used my white Fender Toronado, for that part at least, going through a Boss multi-effects pedal, and into a Fender Deluxe Reverb (I think) from the 1960s.  As much as Crate amps don't compare to a good vintage Fender, I'd played that song on my Crate a million times, and so when the guy recording us wanted me to use my lead guitarist's vintage Fender, I wasn't really prepared.

As for the fuzziness, it's probably just a bad choice of distortion on the Boss pedal.  Again, my Crate would have made me a lot happier in this case.

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:57 am

i guess you used the bridge pu, right? i think that would explain it somehow, because they tend to overdrive easier and sound thinner. next time you should try the neck pickup and take some time  :)

MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MTLasater » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:44 am

Actually, if I recall correctly, I used the neck pickup.  It's strange...on this particular guitar, the neck and bridge are opposite of what they normally seem to be, in terms of tone and such.

MTLasater
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MTLasater » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am

I'm really starting to lean toward getting a Jaguar.  Humbuckers are great in some applications, but a lot of my band's material calls for something more along the single-coil lines, this case included, I think.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am

MTLasater wrote: I'm really starting to lean toward getting a Jaguar.
Sport of kings. Get one, now.