drum sampling software

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Kawentzmann
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: drum sampling software

Post by Kawentzmann » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:55 am

I recently learned to use the grooves that come with DigitalPerformer. You have a special percussion instrument graphic midi-editor in the sequencer and can edit all different miditracks in one window and assign different sound banks to them. You can adjust the grid view, so if your smallest time intervals are 8ths, you adjust to 8ths. All the finetuning can be done with the grooves bundled with DP, better then I could edit by hand. After setting up the basic pattern I try all the groove options, only having a vague idea what might work. Eventually the perfect groove comes up. “Laid Back Kickdrum” for instance. You can adjust the grooves’ timing, velocity and duration (0% - 200%). Duration can be of importance even if it’s just percussion, because you might use the human touch midi plug in and have the timing shaky-ness in respect to the note lengths. So far I was always pleased without the further, more surgical options that are availble on a second level. The fastest way I have programmed so far, and with the best results!
1965 dots and binding fiesta red matching headstock Jaguar

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:16 am

Fruity Loops, or whatever they call it now...the easiest drum program/sequencer I've used...but then it's pretty much the only one.
http://fruityloops.com/
They may have turned it into an all-in-one, but the $49 dollar version is enough for drums!
I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth.

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:12 am

people should post more samples!

and critique mine!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:21 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: I made a junk sample  of how I do drums just to show you my method.
Sounds good .. it certainly seems like a versatile way of doing things.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:47 pm

I probably do the most weirdest method of using drum samples.  Don't use any drum machine  . don't use any drum programmes   ... I just get the samples I want and slowly (and I mean slowly) build up a series of individual drum track wave files  (separate kick, snare, tom, hihat, cymbals percussion etc wave files)

It is a pain in the arse and if I want to change the "sound" of a particlar drum later on I have to replace the wave file compleley and recreate it with the new sound (obviously by that stage I know where the particular beats are going to be...)

The one advantage I feel this labourious method has is that it puts some humanity into the drum tracks, as I am not looping anything ...  totally non standard drum ideas can be thrown in, which I have found with looping programmes cannot.

The drum samples I have used are either samples I have recorded myself or what I got at:

beta monkey music

I didn't bother purchasing any of the loops, but went just for the sample library construction kit CDs

BETA MONKEY: Groove Construction Kits - Acoustic Drum and Cymbal Samples.
Last edited by sookwinder on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...