First recording with new setup

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
idiotbear

First recording with new setup

Post by idiotbear » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:25 am

So in order to get used to my new recording setup (DAW - Logic Express 8 - and mics are the main thing that's changed - SM57 and ambient condensor to capture guitar sound), I've re-recorded an old song, Set a Fire.

I'm actually really pleased with this :-) Hope you like...

my SoundClick page - the song is "Set A Fire"

idiotbear

Re: First recording with new setup

Post by idiotbear » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:45 am

For them's that's interested (which is probably nobody, but hey, I don't care), this is the breakdown of my setup:

- ART Tube MP USB preamp into MacBook, running Logic Express with EZDrummer.

- Shure SM57 and Samson condenser through a Spirit Folio Notepad mixer, for instrument miking. Vocals are through the condenser.

- Three guitar tracks, double-tracked and hard-panned to opposite sides. One of the rhythm parts and the lead part are the Jag, rhythm circuit engaged, into my Keeley RAT and Holy Grail, through my Marshall Jubilee (which runs in 25W mode). The lead part also goes through my Maxon AD-999. The other rhythm part is my SG, both pups, through the same amp, but with Big Muff and no reverb.

- Bass is my MIM Jazz Bass, DI'd into the pre-amp, using bridge pup only.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:03 am

It's not there!

I have also upgraded my recording gear recently, though i only have the one SM57, placed about 4 meters from the amp, which goes into a Behringer mixer and Behringer firewire interface, with surprisingly great results. Like most people i used to bash Behringer without ever actually having used any of their gear, but now i know better.

Is the Samson any good? I need to start looking for a condenser, the SM57 is good for recording almost anything, but not cello.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:05 am

idiotbear wrote: So in order to get used to my new recording setup (DAW - Logic Express 8 - and mics are the main thing that's changed - SM57 and ambient condensor to capture guitar sound), I've re-recorded an old song, Set a Fire.

I'm actually really pleased with this :-) Hope you like...

my SoundClick page - the song is "Set A Fire"

Nice..
id pull the vox back a bit..
'cleanest, best pleasure'

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:06 am

Pingu wrote: It's not there!
Is now. Sorry about that.
Pingu wrote: Is the Samson any good? I need to start looking for a condenser, the SM57 is good for recording almost anything, but not cello.
I like the Samson fine. It's pretty unbeatable for the money.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:16 am

Excellent! It's been a while since i listened to the older version so i can't really compare, but both the song and audio quality is great, very spacious.

Besides your names featuring the same animal, your voice really reminds me of Mattias Alkberg of The Bear Quartet, a band i posted about in the Local Bands thread. Pleasantly whiny, if that makes sense.
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:31 am

Pingu wrote: Pleasantly whiny, if that makes sense.
:D

Thanks, man. Glad you like the tune  :)

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:28 am

I like it, mang =oD

Pingu --- check out C1 studio projects.  I've never used it, but the price seems really great from the reviews that it gets -- two of my recording friends use them for all of their vocals.

ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Projects-C1- ... dZViewItem

audio examples (vocals):
http://www.purevolume.com/nathanedwards

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:48 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: I like it, mang =oD

Pingu --- check out C1 studio projects.  I've never used it, but the price seems really great from the reviews that it gets -- two of my recording friends use them for all of their vocals.

ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Projects-C1- ... dZViewItem

audio examples (vocals):
http://www.purevolume.com/nathanedwards
Thanks, his voice sounds really airy and clear, though i'm mostly looking to record cello and melodica, but it should probably work for that as well. I found a quite reasonably priced bundle , might get it when i have a little more cash to spare: http://www.thomann.de/se/studio_projects_c1_bundle.htm

(Sorry for the semi-hijack)

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:43 am

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:56 am

idiotbear wrote: Done another one now :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus ... dID=743514
I like this one even more than the first one =oD ----  Do you do all the instruments yourself?  On an unrelated note in the interest of reducing posts, I will post the final mix tommorow when I finally get some time!  I did do one mix, but I'm not really satisfied with it.  Life will slow down tomorrow though!

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:44 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: I like this one even more than the first one =oD ----  Do you do all the instruments yourself? 
Thanks.  :) And yeah, all the instruments are me, though the drums are programmed in EZDrummer.

Looking fwd to hearing the mix!

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:12 am

I liked your songs!  :)

I say as northern dirt: turn the vox down a bit - and get some protection for the "p"'s and "f"s (don't know the english word for it but it's called "puff-skydd" in swedish)  ;)
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 am

You mean use a 'popper stopper'.

I always use a 'popper stopper' in a casual relationship.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:40 am

Marc wrote: I always use a 'popper stopper' in a casual relationship.
that's very wise of you. you definitely don't want someone you're not 100% comfortable with to P on you all of a sudden...