Re: Installing new soundcard (Audiophile 2496). Aargh! Doesn't work! Help please

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Installing new soundcard (Audiophile 2496). Aargh! Doesn't work! Help please! :(

Post by Orang Goreng » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am

So. A while ago I bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (Delta series) PCI card to replace the (don't laugh) Sounblaster 16 card I had been using until now. It served me well, but I guess it's time to come out of the stone age.

The installation manual doesn't go past Windows ME, though the drivers are for XP (which I use). The installation went a bit strange, as under XP nothing appears to work like it says in the manual for the older Windows versions. However, I managed to install the thing to the extent that in the hardware manager (or whatever it's called) in the control panel the device is properly listed, not shown to have any conflicts, and when I click the appropriate box it says "this device works properly". Nice!

I then tried to assign the thing to my recording software (CoolEdit Pro). Things went well, until I wondered where the lttle speaker in the system tray had disappeared to. I clicked on "windows mixer" and there the error message came: "There is a problem with your sound hardware. To install mixer devices, go to control panel, click "printers and other hardware", and then click "add hardware".

Oh.

Didn't I just install the hardware?

OK, off to control panel. No "printers and other hardware", just "printers and faxes". Hmm. Maybe back to the sound devices. There it still is, shown as properly installed. Step further...check the audio settings. Then I get this:

No matter what I do, the "volume" tab under "recording" stays disabled.

OK, frustration.

Install the thing in my other computer.

Exactly the same thing.

I am, as usual with this kind of thing, at a loss. So I'm hoping some of you are now laughing your asses off behind your computer, thinking "what an assclown! He doesn't even know how to switch the thingamajig to "if" when discombobulating the referee". Now what would be most helpful is if you could put this in a language I understand, and please explain to me what I'm doing wrong, or better, how I can fix this.

Anyone? Your help is greatly appreciated!

TIA,
OG
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

soundhack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Installing new soundcard (Audiophile 2496). Aargh! Doesn't work! Help please! :(

Post by soundhack » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:18 pm

m-audio is constantly updating their drivers... did you download the latest version?

i've had to update my m-audio drivers about 3-4 times last year (on mac), just to keep things compatible with changes in os x.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Re: Installing new soundcard (Audiophile 2496). Aargh! Doesn't work! Help please

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:38 am

Yeah, I used the one on their website after trying the one provided on CD. Searching the web I found someone with the same problem, that could be fixed by disabling the on-board sound in the BIOS. Tries that, no luck either. Hmm. So the wizards here are at a loss as well, eh.

Hmm. I guess it's back to the shop then...

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:11 am

I would try working with another program, besides CoolEdit and see if that is the problem.  I know my I/O doesn't work with Sonar for some reason.  Also, make sure everything is setup properly for recording in CoolEdit.  Find a "Preferences"-esque menu option, and make sure the settings are peachy for your card.

Sorry if this is too late and you already sent it back =oD

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:44 am

Meshuggahnans wrote: Sorry if this is too late and you already sent it back =oD
No, I have decided to follow the ways of my late hamster, who would never give up with anything and often succeeded in the end. I contacted M-Audio's tech support in the UK, and got a response within a few hours:
There could be several reasons for this type of problem and we do not use the Windows mixer as this adds additional latency to the audio signal path, however a call to our local tech support department should ensure a quick solution.

Information on your nearest support department in Holland can be found here (please use the drop down menu to select your country):
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=store.international
Well, that might be helpful. I'll probably will have to call them from work without having access to my PC, but that's another problem to tackle.

I tried a different program. Well, not that different, Adobe Audition, which basically is a re-designed CoolEdit. There I get this:

Yeah, I know the input isn't activated. But how the fuck DO I activate it?! >:( :( :o ??? ::) :-[ :'(

Ah well. Call to Dutch tech support then. Which, by the looks of it just appears to be the importer, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks guys!

Meshuggahnans
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meshuggahnans » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 am

if you click start--->accessories--->entertainment---->volume control

then click options ---> properties

Then click the record button ---- what appears in the box below?

make sure all the boxes are clicked (assuming anything appears)
Hit okay

Then the volume control box should of changed a bit, and you can toggle the channels you want to "activate"

This might not be the problem though, as if I did that with my setup nothing would change -- but just a shot in the dark that it might help.  =oD

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:46 am

I.e., nothing. Hmm.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:13 am

Do you have a small "M" in the system Tray after the install? The control panel shoulöd hide there.

If not, the installation went wrong. Support says there is 2 different drivers available for that card, each of which requiring another procedure.

I'd de-install & download the latest driver. On the support site, they have aninstall procedure for your card under XP. Maybe it's just a tiny thing, but they also recommend updating USB drivers and such.
Nobody exists on purpose.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:23 am

Thanks! But yes, I've done all that. No luck with tech support either...the phone system automatically disconnects when one isn't helped after a couple of minutes, so so far I've not been able to get through. Quite a pain...I'd rather be on hold for half an hour than having to redial over and over.

I found a couple of people on the net who've had the same problem. The tech boards where they post their questions in haven't been much help so far. Yesterday I found one that mentioned it may be necessary to manually edit the register to wipe out all traces of a previously installed Creative SB card...yikes! Ah well...it's on my to do list for tonight.

Oh BTW, Wymer says hi!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:28 am

Oh geez what a hassle, I remember all kinds of troubles like these with add-on cards on Windows systems.
But I won't promote Macs now, haha.

The Wymers: Did you already play together? How was it?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:36 am

Not yet. He showed up at our gig in Groningen and kept us company for the rest of the night.Supernice guy. Vox Von Braun played Amsterdam twice in the past weeks, and neither time I could make it out, unfortunately, so I still haven't seen them  :(.

So, when will we hear new Gluemen stuff? ;).

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 am

The guys will visit me somewhen in December, we'll see what happens, each member's supposed to have some tunes ready then.
It's been a long time, everyone balding, growing a belly, you know the reunion routine, haha. Long time no see...

;D

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 am

Should be a lot of fun :).

So I'm home now, and removed all traces of the old SB card from my system. Took the 2496 out, uninstalled and reinsntalled it, and put the card back in.

Where I'm now: all the controls in the screen shots I posted are still disabled. However, I can record sound in CoolEdit! The screen crashes when I do it, but that doesn't affect the recording. When I record in multi-track view, the screen doesn't crash.

So, some degree of success.

Maybe I should break open the disc with Ableton Live (lite version) that came with the card to see if that works better. I AM sort of bummed I can't control the card from windows though. I've always liked being able to control volume with my keyboard. Ah well, can't have it all.

Edit: although for some unknown reason, now the M-Audio logo in my system tray is gone! WTF?
Last edited by Orang Goreng on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Installing new soundcard (Audiophile 2496). Aargh! Doesn't work! Help please! :(

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 am

So when you get this working are you finally going to record "Spider Loving!"?

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:28 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
Edit: although for some unknown reason, now the M-Audio logo in my system tray is gone! WTF?
And that's supposed to be the access to the card's control panel  ???