Wanna hear my music?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Wanna hear more new songs? (pgs 5 and 6)

Post by Telliot » Mon May 12, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks Steven! I think it's come a long way from how it was when I first played it for you, I like it much more now. I'm not totally sure it's done, a friend of mine had a lot of opinions about it last night and made me start second guessing myself. :unsure:

The lapsteel is a McKinney, with the typical Supro 'string through' pickup. The pickup is going bad, I think. Only the top three strings are ringing out clearly, maybe the poles are going bad? I contacted Lollar about having it repaired, but never heard back from them. I could buy a new one, but $250!!! I could probably find another lapsteel for close to that, even if I used it for parts.

Mine looks just like this one, without the treble sign pickup cover.

The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 am

I think this new song isn't resonating with too many people... :D

I'm always curious what makes people like something or not. Or more specifically, what makes a lot of people like something or not. My music seems to be very divisive, and I usually don't tell people it's me to avoid the oh wow, you did that? thing where people feel obligated to say something nice. I always get the 'chill' or 'relaxing' comments, or simply 'nice', but rarely do I get a sense that anyone could ever be a rabid fan of my music, the way I am with so many other artists. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the nice things you've all been saying in this thread, and it's boosted my confidence a lot, but I genuinely wonder what makes some music more successful that others. Not more lucrative necessarily, but more widely accepted and consumed by people who genuinely feel something when they hear it.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Tue May 13, 2014 11:03 am

If it's any consolation, I think this is better than the first song in this thread. :)

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue May 13, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks, man. :blush:

Honestly, the last two songs are closer to what I 'do', although I'm always trying to push the boundaries in my own little ways. That first song was an example of that.

millarman9111993
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wanna hear my new song? (Now with more øøøøøøø, pg4)

Post by millarman9111993 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:48 am

Telliot wrote:
Telliot wrote:Thanks guys!

Hopefully without wearing out my welcome, I thought I'd share a new demo I recorded over the weekend. The "Sir Paul is a badass" thread is timely, since I based this song's sparse drum/melodic bass parts on "Something", not that I would ever compare myself to the Beatles, just citing an influence.
Just wanted to update the thread for anyone interested, the link above is to the finished new song.

Hope you like it.
I really really like this one, reminds me a little bit of Joseph Arthur, keep it up!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks very much! I'm not familiar with him, I'll have to check out his stuff.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:43 pm

A new song I've been working on for anyone interested, a bit of Beatles-tinged power pop for your listening pleasure.

I hope you like it. :)
Last edited by Telliot on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zakmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Wanna hear my music? (new song pg6)

Post by zakmaster » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:00 am

Personally, I am a little put off by your comments comparing these songs to other artists. You mention the Beatles a few times, and in other threads you talk a lot about your influences. I think you use this as a barrier to potential criticism. While I understand that, maybe you won't get to where you want to get to by only dipping your toe in so people don't take too hard of a swing at you.

I say this because I love these songs! Not compared to Wilco, or Elliot Smith, or the Beatles. I just really enjoy the music, the approach, and especially the guitar playing. It's really good on its own. I am sure there are many who will be critical, or discouraging, or give you reasons why as a dad and husband with financial responsibilities you are wasting your time on this. Don't listen to them, or even to the guy on a guitar forum who tells you that he loves the guitar sound. Screw them all. You have some real talent and communicate it well through music.

I do love your guitar sound. I always listen for guitar, and like most guitar players I tend to be stupidly dismissive of others - "That sucks", "I can play that" "I have heard that before" "He is stealing from..." Rarely do I hear someone I don't know and instantly say, "Damn, that's a sound I want". Your playing, feel, and the way you compliment the song shows great guitar talent, and I am really impressed and jealous at the same time.

Chase whatever you want to chase, but keep putting up these songs, without apology, because you are a talented musician and I think there are lots here that would like to hear more from you.

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:07 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:53 am

Those are both absolutely valid criticisms. Zak, I hadn't ever really thought of it that way, but I see what you mean. I think I've always been timid about really putting myself out there, and until the lightbulb went off as I read your post, never realized how often I bring up other bands or styles to 'prepare' people for what I'm about to play them.

You're both correct, and I'm finally starting to come to grips with this, the music I make is an expression of me and not everyone will like it, but I should stop being ashamed to admit it's mine. I also need to stop apologizing for it, as if I'm somehow wasting peoples' time by letting them hear what I do. It all comes from being insecure about it, of course. We all have it to some degree, as artists; it's hard to create something but easy for others to tear it down.

Zak, I've never had anyone tell me they enjoyed my playing like that, thank you very much, that made my day.

Telliot wrote:A new song I've been working on, enjoy.
Fixed. ;)
Last edited by Telliot on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:06 am

Wow.. I like it, Todd.

Alot.
Q. Are we not men?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Doug! Didja hear that Jazzmaster?? It's not me, it's your refin. :w00t:

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Really good, I like these two a lot. Not only that, but the track you posted here a few months ago (I'm Fine) still gets replayed in my head. I'm listening to a lot of music on a day-to-day basis, and that song still gets remembered. The new ones probably will too. 8) 8) 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

zakmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zakmaster » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 am

You are welcome. I waited a day to see if it was just the booze talking. :w00t:

Seriously, I listened again, especially to Urban Countryside, and I am sticking with my original thought. That guitar work is just cool. Not flashy, but really interesting, well played, and well recorded. I listened a few times and I enjoy it more every time.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:06 pm

It's been a while but I've finally got something new to share. I'm particularly proud of this one as I worked hard to make it both texturally and structurally more interesting than some of what I've done in the past without losing my 'self' in the process (if that makes any sense).

Anyway, here it is, thanks for listening. :)
Last edited by Telliot on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.