Re: New Project Magnificent track - "Cold Currents"

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
magnificent studios
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Project Magnificent track - "Cold Currents"

Post by magnificent studios » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:39 pm

I wrote this one a few months back but only got around to doing vocals today. This is a demo version, and the mix is rough, but it does have full instrumentation (guitar, bass, drums, vocals). I'm not sure how to describe the sound except to say I was influenced a lot by Sonic Youth and that it sounds rather pop toward the end. The arrangement is such that nothing repeats...it changes from one part to another without going back to any of the others, and the last part is pretty much the chorus.

Anyway, it's the first song on my MySpace profile if anyone wants to check it out. Let me know what you guys think, I'm very proud of it (the song itself). I recorded it on a Tascam 788. The guitars are my Gibson 'SG Special and Epiphone acoustic. The beat I programmed on a machine.

myspace.com/projectmagnificent

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 pm

This is nice ;), i like how nothing repeats but it still flows.

I can definitely hear a SY connection (Murray St/1000 leaves)

What Mic did you use on the guitar?

JJ

magnificent studios
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by magnificent studios » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Hey JJ,

The SG is running through a Tech 21 Trademark 10 amp direct into the 788. I've been using that amp about 6 years now...it gets on my nerves sometimes (limited clean tones) but overall I really haven't found anything that works better for me.

The acoustic is running into a Studio Projects VTB1 preamp (the guitar has an under-saddle pickup). I also mic'd it with a lowly SM-58 then blended the two tracks. The SM-58 and VTB1 were also used for vocals. Bass is running through the VTB1.

Thanks for listening, man! I appreciate the comments...I'm trying to work up enough material to get a live act together...it's good to hear what people think. The lack of repeats is something I've been doing with most of my newer material...trying to keep it short and to the point, like Minutemen songs.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:01 pm

JJ Gabor wrote:
I can definitely hear a SY connection (Murray St/1000 leaves)
Ditto..

Sounds nice man
'cleanest, best pleasure'