anyone using an iPod to audition songs?

Get that song on tape! Errr... disk?
fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

anyone using an iPod to audition songs?

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:42 pm

I'm thinking about using my old 10G hard drive iPod as a means of listening to different arrangements and/or mixes of songs...anyone here do that? I was thinking it would help in that it's away from the studio...fresh ears...and the iPod still works fine, but isn't getting any use with the Nano around.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: anyone using an iPod to audition songs?

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:01 pm

I use my 20GB iriver to record acoustic demos sometimes, it can be pretty useful.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:59 pm

Anything that will give you a fresh perspective on a mix is a good thing!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:53 pm

ahh right, i completely mis-read that post - i use the dictaphone on my iriver to record wee demos sometimes for fun.

I think it'd be a good idea to listen to mixes on your ipod - it's the way that most people listen to music most of the time these days anyway, so it couldn't hurt.

Nothing can beat mixing through some quality monitors though, if you can get access to them.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:55 am

"Nothing can beat mixing through some quality monitors though, if you can get access to them"

true, this was just to see how they would sound on the lowest common denomenator, which used to be mono on a boombox...and more for trying out different arrangements.

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:12 pm

I have to say that I find it very helpful to audition mixes on an ipod with earbuds, and also thru itunes with my macbook's built in speakers (talk about lowest common denominator there) - just to do a final reality check before committing to a final version.

I'd be interested to see what people are doing using their ipod as a scratch pad recording device on the road, or to grab rough mixes of their live sets - I haven't done this - but it has distinct advantages (wav format, direct transfer/non-real time to your computer) over DAT or other portable recording formats. What ipod audio interface are you guys using?
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:14 am

When I am mixing down I listen to the demos all the time, I listen on my MP3 player and I take notes. I listen in the car and I take notes. I listen to them on my friends stereo, in their car. Just remember to take notes so you can make an even mix that sounds good on all systems.
One time I had some distortion on a drum track that sounded really sweet through the monitors and on my MP3 player, but sounded like Jimmy on my friends stereo. It was actually kind of embarrasing how bad it ruined the sound.
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:00 pm

I always put my tunes on my iPod to see how they sound. It's a good idea.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:07 pm

"One time I had some distortion on a drum track that sounded really sweet through the monitors and on my MP3 player, but sounded like Jimmy on my friends stereo."

I've re-amped drum tracks through a tweed champ a few times...the tube distortion and room ambience helped it sit well mixed with the straight drum tracks, but it was used as an effect, not as the main drum track. I prefer that to overdriving the preamps on an initial recording as you can mix it to taste or leave it out if it doesn't work...of course those are tube preamps as well and not digital distortion from overdriving into a DAW.

Another thing I've done is running the tracks out through a Yamaha 4-track and pushing it into the red and mixing those tracks with the main drums...stole that idea from Brad Laner of Medicine. Very crunchy :P

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:42 am

fuzzjunkie wrote: digital distortion from overdriving into a DAW.
*Shudder*  :-X

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:09 pm

I used to have an iRiver and got some great recordings just putting it in the corner of a room recording a drummer and myself. I used the little mic it comes with. I also used the internal mic to record my acoustic and me humming melodies. I was really impressed with the sound quality. I've heard a lot worse in digital 4 track internals. I use my Ti Powerbook speakers, car hi fi and anything I can get my hands on! It trains your ears well. It's all well and good saying use a good set of monitors but if your room is treated right it doesn't really justify using expensive speakers.

Using an iPod can be bad sometimes as it really limits highs and lows that could be quite obvious on a good hifi.

AKG K240 are good for getting a good sound on phones.

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:30 am

I like being able to put some mixes on the iPod and then walk around and listen to them - just getting out of the "listening" environment can really add some perspective. It's also a great way to audition different sequences for your record.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:02 pm

lalalandstudios wrote: I have to say that I find it very helpful to audition mixes on an ipod with earbuds, and also thru itunes with my macbook's built in speakers (talk about lowest common denominator there) - just to do a final reality check before committing to a final version.

I'd be interested to see what people are doing using their ipod as a scratch pad recording device on the road, or to grab rough mixes of their live sets - I haven't done this - but it has distinct advantages (wav format, direct transfer/non-real time to your computer) over DAT or other portable recording formats. What ipod audio interface are you guys using?
Is there an attachment to convert your iPod into a simple stereo location recording device?  That would be very very convenient.  My guess is Apple discourages it though because they don't really support using the iPod as a portable storage device - unless it can be worked into iTunes somehow. 
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:12 pm

You might be interested in this.....

http://www.hackaday.com/2004/12/30/how- ... -for-free/
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:17 pm

lalalandstudios wrote: You might be interested in this.....

http://www.hackaday.com/2004/12/30/how- ... -for-free/
I am very interested - thanks!
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."