Curtis Novak Support Question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Curtis Novak Support Question

Post by akpasta » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:44 am

Big fan of Curtis Novak pickups. I have a set of his Fender XII pickups in my vintage Fender XII and love them. So much that I bought a set for my Alternate Reality XII.

I installed the pickups and the neck pickup did not work. Curtis is always so quick to respond via e-mail, and he kindly walked me through the steps of testing to see if it was something I had done wrong or if it was something wrong with the pickup.

I was able to confirm with a multimeter that there was something wrong with the pickup, it was measuring no impedance from the lead and ground on each side, whereas the bridge pickup was measuring the correct impedance level, as well as my set of stock pickups that I had removed. Pretty clear something happened to the pickup. When I reported this to Curtis he just stopped responding to my e-mails. I was being super polite, just reporting what I had found and asking him what his policy was, should I send it back to him, should I toss it and buy a new one, etc. No response. I followed up once or twice over the next few months. No big deal, figured he was busy, these times are insane after all.

Did something happen to him? Seems he still posts on social media. I checked his web site to see if I had violated some stated policy and was therefore potentially irritating him, but I didn't find anything. Are there some unwritten rules I may have violated?

Or... how can I fix a pickup that measures no impedance from either side?

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Curtis Novak Support Question

Post by SignoftheDragon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:03 am

I have 2 sets of Novak XII pickups as well- the most recent set was ordered a little over a month ago. Order/payment to shipment was about 1 week. Overall a pretty smooth transaction.

Of some concern was the lack of communication- I had asked after a set of white pickup covers (which he no longer has as an option on his site) or even an extra set of black covers that I could dink around with. I mentioned my willingness to pay for these extras, but never heard a peep of a reply on any of my questions.