cheapest possible sampler/sequencer that is NOT a volca?

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

cheapest possible sampler/sequencer that is NOT a volca?

Post by bah humbuck » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:46 pm

So I impulsively downloaded 12 GB worth of drum machine samples from Reverb for $7 and am now facing the fact that I need a new piece of hardware if I want to do anything with them. Everyone I know seems to use a Volca Sample but it sounds like you need an iPhone app to actually load the samples into the machine and I don't have an iPhone. Even if I did, getting 12 GB of wavs into my phone sounds like a nightmare. Ideally, I'd like something that takes an SD card or that can connect via USB to my Thinkpad. Beyond that, my only requirement is that I can switch between a few different patterns easily. I don't need any built in effects as I will be running the thing through pedals anyway. I don't care who made it or when as long as the interface is somewhat intuitive -- I have a working understanding of how to operate a sequencer thanks to my experimentation with acidmachine. Ideally my budget is $150 or less (I don't know how realistic that is). Any suggestions?

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: cheapest possible sampler/sequencer that is NOT a volca?

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:47 pm

My suggestion is to get the Volca sampler and use it with free third party software you run on your computer.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/vol ... tyapps.php
This is an excellent rectangle

Harmoncj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Harmoncj » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 pm

good excuse for an mpc500

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:44 am

bah humbuck wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:46 pm
So I impulsively downloaded 12 GB worth of drum machine samples from Reverb for $7 and am now facing the fact that I need a new piece of hardware if I want to do anything with them. Everyone I know seems to use a Volca Sample but it sounds like you need an iPhone app to actually load the samples into the machine and I don't have an iPhone. Even if I did, getting 12 GB of wavs into my phone sounds like a nightmare. Ideally, I'd like something that takes an SD card or that can connect via USB to my Thinkpad. Beyond that, my only requirement is that I can switch between a few different patterns easily. I don't need any built in effects as I will be running the thing through pedals anyway. I don't care who made it or when as long as the interface is somewhat intuitive -- I have a working understanding of how to operate a sequencer thanks to my experimentation with acidmachine. Ideally my budget is $150 or less (I don't know how realistic that is). Any suggestions?
You could get any old MIDI drum machine and then sync it up to a software sampler on your laptop using a USB MIDI interface.

Something like an Alesis SR-16, an Alesis HR-16?, or a BOSS DR-660?

Thats just the first few examples that pop to mind but I'm sure there are other options. Basically any drum machine that sends out MIDI will give you what you want.

With regards to software samplers - I don't actually know of any because I'm a bit out of touch :) But I'm sure they must exist? I'm just guessing that someone at some point has made something that emulates an old AKAI sampler or something like that? Or if not you could probably build one using some sort of modular audio software.

edit: Actually the BOSS RD-660 sequencer wasn't as nice to use as alot of other drum machines around at the time so maybe tread carefully with that one unless you get to try it first. Some people did like it.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure the new Volca Sample has USB-In?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_sample2/
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:01 pm

teenage electronics pocket operator KO. pretty sure this is the cheapest sampler/sequencer around. I have one. They're SUPER FUN!
Last edited by MKR on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:02 pm

EDIT: just read the first post, and that's not a good option for what you're after, but I still maintain that they are super fun little music machines.

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:13 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:26 pm
I'm pretty sure the new Volca Sample has USB-In?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/volca_sample2/
Indeed. Just get the Volca Sample V2.

bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: cheapest possible sampler/sequencer that is NOT a volca? (update: oops, got a volca)

Post by bah humbuck » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Coming back to this - it took me a while, but I did actually end up just snagging a Volca Sample 2. The USB-in solves my issue with the original (although the Volca Librarian software is hopeless and crashes every chance it gets) and I have to say, it feels awfully good to finally load all my Compurhythm/Rhythm Ace/Rhythmbox/etc. samples into one place. Now I have to sit through a 2hr youtube tutorial to understand how to use it, but it's worth it. This is one of those pieces of gear that I thought about getting for so long that it almost doesn't feel real once it's actually in my hands.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: cheapest possible sampler/sequencer that is NOT a volca? (update: oops, got a volca)

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:21 pm

bah humbuck wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:16 pm
Coming back to this - it took me a while, but I did actually end up just snagging a Volca Sample 2. The USB-in solves my issue with the original (although the Volca Librarian software is hopeless and crashes every chance it gets) and I have to say, it feels awfully good to finally load all my Compurhythm/Rhythm Ace/Rhythmbox/etc. samples into one place. Now I have to sit through a 2hr youtube tutorial to understand how to use it, but it's worth it. This is one of those pieces of gear that I thought about getting for so long that it almost doesn't feel real once it's actually in my hands.
Glad you found something that works! Like you, it's been on my "I want one of those" list for years now. Like you, I have a bunch of samples I bought that it would behoove me to make better use of. Shit, I should just get one, huh?

If you're not onto it already, Samples from Mars has a gigantic holiday sale every year where their entire library is $39. It's a vast library, and that's stupid cheap and arguably the best sample deal on earth. Mine is sitting fallow, telling me to get the Volca Sample. :D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:14 am

Second-hand Roland SP-404. I got mine for about £150 a couple of years back - don't imagine the prices have sky-rocketed since.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:04 am

So, OP, your post pushed me to finally order the dang thing.

Yay! :D

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:36 am

The 16 steps thing kinda kills it for me (as with almost every Volca). For anything resembling not a loop, you want 64 steps. I don't know if the "song mode" solves this or if it's a chore to use. The Electribes do have 64 steps.