List all your keyboards and synths!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: List all your keyboards and synths!

Post by cestlamort » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:05 pm

We've ended up accumulating a stack of small synths and a couple big ones:

Casio VL-1
Kurzweil K2500 xs
Moog The Rogue
Roland JP-08
Roland JU-06
Roland JX-03
Roland RS-09
Teenage Engineering OP-1
Waldorf Microwave II

Plus:
Kurzweil K250 (needs work and weighs way more than all the rest put together)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 am

bumpin'

I updated my list (OP). I basically got rid of all my vintage Moog stuff and replaced it with Arp stuff.
BUT I do love my Sub Phatty, great on stage and great in recording.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:47 am

My updated keyboard list:

Arturia Microbrute
Casiotone 202
Casio CT-640
Casio VL-Tone
DuBreq Stylophone
Farfisa Compact Deluxe
Yamaha Reface CP
Yamaha VSS-200 (currently kaput - must try to get it fixed)

MIDI modules/samplers:

Akai S900
E-MU e6400
E-MU Proteus 2
Kawai K4
Roland D110
Roland SP404

I also have a melodica and a MIDI controller keyboard, possibly by Edirol, with full-size keys. I thinned my collection down a bit when I moved house just over a year ago, but reinvested in the Reface CP which rendered my two toy pianos and Crumar Roadrunner pretty redundant. The Crumar Performer (string machine) also went in the purge.

I'm still rubbish on the keyboards, and absolutely HATE touch sensitivity, which makes the Reface CP very unfriendly for an unskilled player like me. One of these days I must figure out how to set up a controller keyboard with fixed velocity.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 am

I've just started dabbling my way into the world of synths!

This past Summer I started messing around with a Korg NTS-1, and just a couple weeks ago I got an Arturia MicroFreak and put in a preorder for a Korg NTS-2 (though that's not a synth of course, just an accessory to hopefully help me learn and understand synthesis better).

Jack

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:01 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:47 am
My updated keyboard list:
Wow, you've come a long way!

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 am

Zork wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:34 am
Synths:
E-Mu Vintage Keys
Korg Microkorg
Moog Sub37
Arturia Minibrute 2S

Keyboards:
Philips Philicorda organ
Roland MP-600 e-piano

My collection of old toy synths:
Yamaha PC-100
Yamaha VSS-100
Casio SK-1
Not much has changed. I forgot my Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-2L in that old list. Since then, I only sold the Minibrute 2S. New acquisitions are

- Arturia Minibrute 2 (I didn't get along with the sequencer but liked the synth, so I swapped)
- Novation Peak
- Moog Etherwave Theremin
- Yamaha SK-10 string synthesizer
- Sound Labs Raagini electric tanpura (as used by Kula Shaker)

I was recently veeeeery tempted to buy a Yamaha CS-15 but I was brave and resisted. I might get a nice drum machine somewhere in the future and maybe a better piano but I have pretty much everything I could possibly need.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:57 am

Zork wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:47 am
Not much has changed. I forgot my Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-2L in that old list. Since then, I only sold the Minibrute 2S. New acquisitions are

- Arturia Minibrute 2 (I didn't get along with the sequencer but liked the synth, so I swapped)
- Novation Peak
- Moog Etherwave Theremin
- Yamaha SK-10 string synthesizer
- Sound Labs Raagini electric tanpura (as used by Kula Shaker)

I was recently veeeeery tempted to buy a Yamaha CS-15 but I was brave and resisted. I might get a nice drum machine somewhere in the future and maybe a better piano but I have pretty much everything I could possibly need.
Oh I Love the CS-15, great synth. It's worth def getting for the right price.
How do you like the Peak? I wanted the Summit for a while.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:10 am

Yes, the CS-15 is super cool! There was one at a decent price about 1 hour drive away. I had already contacted the seller and everything but ultimately decided against it. I will surely regret it once the next one pops up for double the price...
:fp:
The problem is that I hardly find the time at the moment to play with the synths I already have. A family with little kids, a job and a band doesn't leave a lot of room for sonic explorations on a bunch of synths... 🙃

The Roland piano at home is played daily, the kids play a lot with the little Yamaha Portasounds and the Moog is in my live rig with the band. The rest is mainly gathering dust which is a shame, especially with the Peak.

So, Peak: It's a fantastic synth! Three full grown oscillators, a huge sounding filter, 16 modulation slots and beautiful effects don't leave a lot to be desired. Still, it's never complicated, easy to use and very accessible in every sense. It has some clever tricks under the hood, like oscillator spread and it sounds insanely good. Also the haptic feel of it is very nice.

There are a few peeves, though: There is one knob in the arpeggiator section on the front panel and it doesn't control the tempo but the gate. I can see that many people use a synth like Peak deeply integrated in their DAW, so a tempo knob is not overly necessary for them, but I'm not one of them. Also: no sequencer, probably for the same reason. I still hope they will integrate one in one of the next firmware updates, though.

I'm not particularly fond of the desktop format. I wish there was something in between Peak and Summit, kind of like ASM have it in their Hydrasynth range. A Peak with a nice 3 or maybe 4 octave keyboard with a cool sequencer would probably be my dream synth. Summit is too much for me, both in overall physical size and functionality.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:04 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:57 am
Oh I Love the CS-15, great synth. It's worth def getting for the right price.
How do you like the Peak? I wanted the Summit for a while.
Did you ever have one? I see you have a vintage MS-20 and people pretty often refer to the CS-15 as "the better MS-20". I believe this is more of an internet legend that just gets repeated because it sounds very nerdy. They are quite different beasts, aren't they?

Also I've seen you have quite a few string synths! What's your favourite and why? My Yamaha SK-10 sounds a bit boring when played alone, but in an arrangement or with a band it reeeally shines!

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:35 pm

Zork wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:04 am
Did you ever have one? I see you have a vintage MS-20 and people pretty often refer to the CS-15 as "the better MS-20". I believe this is more of an internet legend that just gets repeated because it sounds very nerdy. They are quite different beasts, aren't they?

Also I've seen you have quite a few string synths! What's your favourite and why? My Yamaha SK-10 sounds a bit boring when played alone, but in an arrangement or with a band it reeeally shines!
The only things the MS20 and the CS-15 have in common is a similar build & construction (the PCBs look they were made by the same company to me) and neither one sounds like a Roland 8) Other than that, Very Different. Spend time with each one and you'll see right away. The CS-15 is like two little monosynths in one keyboard. You can a lot with either one.

The Yamaha stuff from that period doesn't have Filters that self oscillate but they are very nice and musical. I never owned a CS15 but I've repaired many and a good friend has one. It's much more immediate and better sounding than the CS-30 IMO, more punchy and bold. I think the added features dampen the CS-30 a bit but it is a fun synth with it's onboard sequencer and does sound good. Also, the CS-30 is HELL to calibrate. The CS-15 isn't as bad and is usually very stable but Yamahas in general are harder to calibrate than other synths.

I just sold my MS20 to a friend. I love them (it was my 3rd one) but I don't end up using them for much. I have friends who get a TON of mileage from them, like my friend Brady from Sextile & Panther Modern. I prefer other things at the end of the day. The MS20 mk1 is the best guitar synth & fuzz tho hands down. The old ESP ckt on it tracks so well.

I love string synths, they really changed & enhanced my writing when I was stuck with guitar. They taught me how to get the most out of minimal bits of music liking writing a song with only 2 chords/parts. I just couldn't get there on guitar because it's hard to unlearn years of habits until you play an instrument that you don't know how to play. Anyway, The Solina is a favorite. It's a classic and well, I love The Cure haha. But with my Sequential Ckts Prelude (same as the Siel OR400 which was my first one) I've done the most writing so it has a very special place in my heart. It's darker and more LoFi than most string synths. Sometimes it needs help cutting through a mix unless you build around it first.

I have the Roland RS-101 because I got it cheap, like $75. It didn't work and needed its PSU completely rebuilt. It's also very ugly and abused but the keys are in great shape. I like it and I like it better than the later RS-202, the modulation sounds different to me. It's basically a weaker Solina. It can be great sometimes. Another good one that is harder to find is the Univox Stringman (made by Crumar). I worked on 3 owned by Neil Young a few times. He tours with them so they would break a lot. They're a PITA and have a lower output than the solina but they sound really cool.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:40 am

I still don’t have a Moog Subsequent 37 that I’ve wanted for ages. I make do with an old Roland D-50 and soft-synths with an Akai controller keyboard.

In order to get the sounds I want, I run the D-50 through a few effects. The electric piano presets get ring modulation and sometimes a slapback echo or tremolo. Other patches get bit-crushed or fuzzed. I add extra pitch shifts to the organs and run them through a Leslie simulator. That sort of thing.

My favorite device for thicker and more distorted tones is a Filter Factory. It can change the envelope, add another LFO, create more harmonic content, shift the dominant frequencies and color it all with some subtle to heavy distortion. Running strings through it on a tremolo filter and fuzz setting is quite the sound.

Basically the same idea of trying to make a guitar sound more synth like, but using a basic digital synthesizer and making it sound fat, dirty and analog.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:46 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:40 am
I still don’t have a Moog Subsequent 37 that I’ve wanted for ages.
The Subsequent 25 sounds better. I don't know why but it does. I have the Sub Phatty which is pretty much the same as the Sub25 minus the Duophonic capabilities. Supposedly they revoiced the drive section on the Sub 25 but I don't care, I love the Sub Phatty.

Also, you can find the Sub Phatty for $500-600. The sticky black rubber is annoying but you can get rid of it with WD40 or some alcohol.
I used a combo of WD40 and some of that Dunlop Fretboard conditioner stuff (alcohol).

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm

OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:46 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:
The Subsequent 25 sounds better. I don't know why but it does. I have the Sub Phatty which is pretty much the same as the Sub25 minus the Duophonic capabilities. Supposedly they revoiced the drive section on the Sub 25 but I don't care, I love the Sub Phatty.

Also, you can find the Sub Phatty for $500-600. The sticky black rubber is annoying but you can get rid of it with WD40 or some alcohol.
I used a combo of WD40 and some of that Dunlop Fretboard conditioner stuff (alcohol).
I’m interested in the Subsequent because of the arpeggio and 2nd LFO. I did want a Phatty before the Sub 37 came out. I almost bought one twice but both times my car broke down within days of me deciding not to.

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:19 pm

Dreadbox Erebus v02 (I think I will always have this)
Moog Grandmother (Dark, really solid feel and a lot of fun)
Moog Subharmonicon (I need to spend more time with this, mucked about for a month straight and haven't really gone back)
Behringer CAT (I asked for it for Xmas last year and got it, but I rarely use it...what a jerk)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm
OffYourFace wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:46 pm
fuzzjunkie wrote:

I’m interested in the Subsequent because of the arpeggio and 2nd LFO. I did want a Phatty before the Sub 37 came out. I almost bought one twice but both times my car broke down within days of me deciding not to.
You know, I’ve been rethinking this stance and it’s based off the idea I might need those extra bits for playing live. Since I have not played live in 15 years and the likelihood that I will again is diminishing with each passing day, I probably would be fine with the Subsequent 25.

I had a moment 7 years ago where I decided to rebuild my pedalboard with the intention of playing out, instead of buying the relatively new Subsequent 37. I spent a little over $2k for that and the Moog was around $1500 back then so that ate up all my music gear budget for the year. Since then I bought a Gretsch Falcon and a Rickenbacker 360-v64, and a microphone or 2, so no discretionary money left for a keyboard.

I could swing a used 25 this year. The 2nd LFO can be the continued use of what I’m already doing with the Filter Factory and hooked up to a computer I won’t need a sequencer or arpeggiator. I should abandon the idea of buying gear from the perspective of playing in public.