NGD… (bronze finish)

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD… (bronze finish)

Post by invisible man » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:36 am

New Gong Day! (haha been planning this post title fake-out forever)

Check out my new “acoustic synthesizer”, as some have called these

Zildjian 26” gong I just got on Reverb. I think these sound and look amazing. Been watching these for ~1yr, one finally popped up in a semi-reasonable price range. Initially local only pickup several states from me, after talking for a while seller was willing to ship to me. Also included is a cool custom made stand for it which required some disassembly to ship. I haven’t had time to assemble that yet, probably next weekend. I think the stand may get a few upgrades for easier assembly/dissassembly, but we will see. Will get some short vids then too. I’m so stoked. Fresh out of bananas here, so the Squier Bass VI is pictured for scale. According to resources online these were made in 22, 24, 26 & 28 inch sizes. I was hoping for a 28” but this 26” is pretty great. These resources also state the hollow lettering of the inked logo date this between ‘78-‘82. ‘50s or ‘60s would have been cooler, but likely exceeded my budget. I want to take more pics in full sun, but my balcony is pretty shady. Last few shots show gong and Bass VI lifted out of shadow into full sun, but angle is not great. Check out that semi-transparent marbled acrylic guard by Pickguardian too! Some of the gold foil faraday cage insulation shows through in the sun, I should finish that job.

My high school had one of these in the music room I would abuse when no one was around after attempting to play noise rock on my cheap Strat copy through my Crate amp of an equal value. That was in the ‘90s. Been thinking about that recently and hunting for one of these. They don’t come up very often. I missed a few due to timing, hesitancy, and/or cost. The few others on reverb are twice the cost or more.

Been getting more into psychedelia, “spiritual” jazz, soundtracks, ambient, etc…all genres where these are employed.

I did not purchase this with the intention of performing sound healing ceremonies, but I’m not in a position to turn down paying gigs. I wonder if the new agers would reward a sarcastic and openly disingenuous sound healer?
Last edited by invisible man on Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD… (bronze finish)

Post by JSett » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:39 pm

The things we do with our money :D :D

(guilty as charged)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:42 am

I love that it has a rope mount and a standard cymbal mount. Putting it on a cymbal stand and shanking it with the side of a stick would probably sound killer and weird.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:29 am

Jonesie wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:42 am
I love that it has a rope mount and a standard cymbal mount. Putting it on a cymbal stand and shanking it with the side of a stick would probably sound killer and weird.
There are YouTube vids of people doing this, but the sound is very blown out. Starting to read up on recording gongs, seems like it is one of the harder instruments to record. Apparently you can also get some chladni effects in the horizontal position if you put sand on the surface. A drum forum poster said the center hole was for the lathing step in manufacture, not really meant for a cymbal stand but of course people have tried.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:24 pm

The hollow logo, and the condition suggest that funnily enough this could technically be called a "vintage" cymbal/gong - even though Zildjian started making this stuff 400 years ago, and cymbals have been around for thousands of years :D

When I was young and enamoured with enormous drum kits from this period, I fantasised about a set-up that included 2 great big gongs behind me. Eventually I settled for more affordability & practicality - a couple of chinas on the right, above the ride: 16" & 20". 26" is massive, my cases only carry up to 24" diameters!

These days most drummers are talking about having gong drums rather than gong cymbals. :mellow:

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:55 pm

This is awesome. My favorite thing to do in high school pit was stand in front of the concert bass drum and the gong (I guess technically it was a tam tam) and then smash them both at the same time (warming up the gong first of course). What a sound!

There are a few sounds that I wish I could experience again. One of them is doing a gong roll and how the whoosh sound fills the room and your ears almost like water. Another is playing the lowest note on a baritone saxophone and how your whole skull vibrates.

Enjoy the gong!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:35 pm

I'd love to hear it plugged into the aux speaker jack of an amp, with some kind of driver/actuator on it.