SP-404 Day!

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
B.T.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SP-404 Day!

Post by B.T. » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

MrShake wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:32 am
B.T. wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:38 am
I’ve read some people mentioning that it looked like folks that didn’t power cycle the system after applying the update might be suffering the random reboot bug? I can’t confirm because my studio is an absolute mess this week and I’ve been concentrating on tweaking guitars and less on SP’s! :P

Maybe Roland can confirm and come out with update 4.04.1?
I'm hoping you're right. I did the power cycle and the "leave my samples but reset the system" reset, but have still had crashes when resampling. I've needed to back everything up and flush it for space anyway, so once I get that done, maybe I'll wipe the whole thing and see if that helps.

Even if every issue hasn't been addressed yet (like the bit of added silence at the beginning of resampled pads!), the updates on this have been so significant (and unexpected) since I bought this thing, I'm betting on an imminent patch for the crashing problem.

Not to sound like "that guy", but others have said it seems like they may have rushed this update out the door to have 404=4/04+4.04, but c'est la vie - I've rarely bought a product so well-updated after the purchase. Especially second-hand.

And I'm not usually a "customizer", but with my birthday coming up next week, my wife registered mine and ordered me a replacement faceplate so I can try some vinyl skins to see if I like giving it a little personality. I usually like to let my gear be the gear, but I'm willing to have a little fun sometimes.

She also ordered me a Behringer MS-1 (mk I, on clearance) so my beats are going to be COVERED in that for a week or two, lol.
That's super cool of her. I tried a skin on mine but I pulled it off after a couple weeks. The one I got had colors that were slightly off in person so I wasn't thrilled out of the gate and the air pockets were a pain to be rid off and didn't really go away around the screen and upper knobs section.

It was also a pain to get all the goo off after I removed it. Not to mention I was out some cash. But by all means have fun! LOL :P

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SP-404 Day!

Post by MrShake » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 am

B.T. wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm
That's super cool of her. I tried a skin on mine but I pulled it off after a couple weeks. The one I got had colors that were slightly off in person so I wasn't thrilled out of the gate and the air pockets were a pain to be rid off and didn't really go away around the screen and upper knobs section.

It was also a pain to get all the goo off after I removed it. Not to mention I was out some cash. But by all means have fun! LOL :P
Yeah, she's the best. And while I'm sorry to hear about your difficulties with them, your tale is EXACTLY why I wanted a separate "skin plate" to keep my original nice and clean if I change my mind. Total validation for my choice, haha, while still feeling bad for your minor misfortune. I figured why not get them when they're still in production and available and accessible from Roland?

So far, I'm inclined to get a "silver" skin, give it that "chrome with black buttons" vibe like a twist on the OG - somewhat classic and sleek.

Also, just to say I did, I put together a vaguely "trap" beat last night (subs, triplet hat flourishes, spartan harmonic elements), just using the pattern (not step) sequencer. Just by careful arrangement and use of double-time and quantization, came up with something that sounds fairly "tight", without so many of the infamous wonkiness/rough edges of the 404. I'm not saying it's GOOD (I did it on my lap on the train home from work), I'm just saying it's sequentially tight.

So, if an idiot like me can do it, it can definitely be done, and I have to imagine the step (TR-Rec) sequencer mode could really take that up a notch.