Re: OSG Multi-Instrumentalists thread

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Gideonian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gideonian » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:14 pm

I play alot of stuff fairly decently, nothing incredibly well.  Guitar, Bass drums, keys, harmonica, mandolin.  I'd love to learn Uke and violin. Violin especially since mandolin is tuned the same as violin, but they are played so differently.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:05 am

i play guitar, drums, bass, trumpet, keys, piano, really poor violin and all kinds of other doo-dads, essentially anything that winds up at my house gets learned at least poorly.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:06 pm

I've made a little deal with myself that, when I want to play music just for a bit of fun, I'm only gonna play the piano. I used to pick up my guitar all the time and just noodle around and not learn anything. So I figrue if I do that with piano, I'll improve exponentially  :ph34r:
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

ugly casanova
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ugly casanova » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Pingu wrote: A few years ago I borrowed my then girlfriends cello for about a year, a very nice instrument made in the 20's. Lots of fun, I sort of got a hang of a few of the Bach suites. She recently told me she has never played it since I returned it. I would buy it from her if I somehow acquired whatever monstrous sum of money it is worth.
same with my girlfriends piano. its at her parents home but i've been the last person playing it .. ('videotape' ;) )

In-Sound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by In-Sound » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:40 pm

I started on Trombone when I was 12, played it in the school band program for one year, then started on bass guitar. I continued to play bass (poorly) in jazz bands through high school. The concert band required that I learn to play an Upright bass. So from grade 8 or 9 I played upright (arco and pizz.) for the rest of high school. If I had the money, I'd buy an upright in an instant. I picked up guitar in grade 10 or 11 after my sister left her acoustic when she moved overseas. I messed around with the piano in the living room as I was growing up, and I've tinkled the keys on an organ or two. When I went into a music program, I picked up the trombone again and was also required to take keyboarding classes. I'm still trying to learn piano as much as I can on my own, but I no longer have access to a T-bone. And then there's vocals... are we counting vocals? I'd like to get my hands on a flute or a sax sometime, just to be more versitile.

EDIT:

Damnit, now I really miss Double Bass... Maybe I should sell my Mustang to put toward one...
Last edited by In-Sound on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is my instrument. There are many like it, but this one is MINE.

Maukio
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Maukio » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:58 pm

I started off taking guitar lessons when I was really young.  The teacher was nice and taught well, but I didn't particularly enjoy it.  I wasn't really into music at that time anyway, so I doubt anything he taught me would have been that much fun.  I quit guitar lessons when I started playing in the school band in 6th grade.  I played clarinet very briefly, half a semester I believe, before I switched to bass clarinet.  I played that all the way up until my freshman year of high school.  I really enjoyed bass clarinet and did well.  In high school the first semester I marched with the bass clarinet (I was award the best freshman marcher award... :-[).  The second semester I tried out and made it into the "A" (best) concert band and they let me play a contrabass clarinet which looks like this...

Note:  The contrabass clarinet is the one on the left.  That isn't me, just a googled image.

I freaking loved contrabass clarinet and concert band; that semester ruled!  However, high school band in general was a freaking weird cult, so I quit after that first year.  In the meantime my interest in music had been growing and I picked up my dad's old dusty hofner beatle bass knockoff.  It was fun because I was able to play along with songs and I think the typical harmonies and stuff of a bass instrument made more sense to me b/c I was used to playing bassier instruments.  Me and a few friends would get together regularly and play.  We all really sucked, but it was fun.  However, after a while I began to mess around on my dad's guitar and I found that it all came back rather easily because I had taken lessons when I was younger.  I knew all the basics and technique and I soon bought my first electric guitar.  Two of those three friends have since moved, but my friend that used to play guitar has since picked up drums and is waaaay better on drums than he ever was on guitar.  He and I now have a band and it's just the two of us.

Oh, I recently acquired a saxophone (free!) and I got some reeds for it.  Whatever stamina I once had, diaphragm strength or whatever, it's all gone. :'(  I think if I was given a bass clarinet and a sheet music I could play it.  I just wouldn't be able to hold out notes for very long.  Heck, or play a very long piece, my mouth gets tired really quickly, too.

InsertNameHere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InsertNameHere » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Well, first and foremost guitar. Bass along with that. I can figure my way around a piano somewhat decently. I can keep a basic beat on the drums, I'd really like to learn how to be an actual drummer sometime but I don't have the time or the space for a drum kit... I dabble with programming synths and stuff. I can play the mandolin to an extent, that's a work in progress. And I'm a jack-of-all trades percussionist from school band and marching band and all that. I used to be pretty good at mallet percussion, I played a decent 4 mallet vibraphone. Vibraphone was my favorite, I would love to continue to practice but I don't have access to one and would never be able to justify buying one (2000 dollars, at least).

So yeah... a few things. I suck at woodwinds or horns. I tried to play mellophone for marching band one year, it did not work well. That is when I discovered the pit section and fell in love with the marimba, xylophone, glockenspiel and vibraphone. Oh, and I'm a decent timpanist too.