Oh, I want an Alesis Micron....

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
Gw10101
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Oh, I want an Alesis Micron....

Post by Gw10101 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:59 pm

i had a micron for a few years. it was cool. it has that "electro clash" sound you would expect from it, the microkorg is an older engine. i had the ms2000 for a few years as well, wich is what the micro korg is based on. it was cool but a bit prog rock for my tastes.

but for affordability and if you like the presets and arent crazy about building your own sounds the micron is awesome!

but for the tweeker in all of you look to the novation k station for versitility and cost effectiveness. (a few years ago they put out a ks4 and a ks5 as well)

after that the price range goes up segnificantly. my favorite virtual analog engine that comes in a 2 octave keyboard (if size is an important deal) the acces virus polar or the previous version (the virus c engine) are pretty sick. (by pretty sick i mean the only synth i needed after i got it, i was completely addicted to it's sound)

greg

rickenmetal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rickenmetal » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:29 am

I was reading the Micron manual, and I couldn't find any mention of any way to turn off the touch sensitivity, I don't think I'll get one, although it sounds pretty cool with the FM synthesis and all.

As for the Microkorg, I've heard demos and even seen one in use live, I don't think it sounds as good as the MS2000, plus I tried the keys on one and they felt stiff. The small keys on older cheap Yamahas feel way better in my opinion.

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:56 pm

I have the Ion, which uses the same sound engine, just more keys buttons and knobs.  For some reason the Micron has FX and the Ion doesn't.  However i've tried programming on the Micron and while the parameters all seem to be present and correct they're well hidden away in the menus. It's not horrible to use, it's just not as straightforward as the Ion.

I like that the Ion/Micron does a very good analog impression, the selection of filters is impressive, the 'drift' control is excellent, the modulation matrix sends things into a strange semi-modular territory.  It isn't easy to get a thick bassy Moogy patch though it can be done.  It excels at big wobbly synth-string and synth-brass sounds, pads, electric pianos, organs, and general weirdness.  The character of some of the sounds reminds me a bit of some of the hybrid analogues from the early-mid 80s - stuff like the ESQ-1 or the Akai AX80.  I haven't yet managed a proper choral patch though i'm getting closer.  It can do Mellotron flute maybe 6 out of 10, Mellotron string/brass about 8 out of 10.

The FM is fun but tricky to use without things getting weird.  It won't really do a DX7 if that's what you're thinking.  The arpeggiator is rubbish.

The Micron rips the arse off both the old and the new MicroKorgs.  No question.
The vocoder on the Micron is tricky but not unusable.
The best vocoder in a small synth is the Novation K Station.
The K-Stations presets are h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s.
The next closest thing to the Micron sound-wise is probably the Nord Lead or something.

El Pr0n
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by El Pr0n » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:53 am

As a matter of interest, can the Micron get that sort of FM sound?
There is no problem so bad that you can't make it worse.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:32 am

I'll let you know. I just pulled the trigger on one...  :?

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 pm

El Pr0n wrote: As a matter of interest, can the Micron get that sort of FM sound?
Yes.  I'd probably look at using two different sounds in the Micron's multitimbrial setup, as there's a bassier sound that comes in on the second two notes.

Pingu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pingu » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:00 am

You might want to consider this one, it's supposedly a cross between the Micron and the Microkorg. To be released later this spring: http://www.akaipro.com/miniak
"Anything that doesn't take years of your life and drive you to suicide hardly seems worth doing." - Cormac McCarthy

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:18 am

Pingu wrote: You might want to consider this one, it's supposedly a cross between the Micron and the Microkorg. To be released later this spring: http://www.akaipro.com/miniak
That looks pretty cool.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

fibreman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fibreman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:07 am

Maggieo wrote:
Pingu wrote: You might want to consider this one, it's supposedly a cross between the Micron and the Microkorg. To be released later this spring: http://www.akaipro.com/miniak
That looks pretty cool.
The spec list reads like a souped-up Micron.  But IMO Akai never topped this beast:

Brock the Mod
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Brock the Mod » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm actually buying one for 75$ from my coworker...(Micron)
Last edited by Brock the Mod on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make like a tree... and fuck off.