the pedal steel thread

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

the pedal steel thread

Post by dain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:09 am

so i picked up an old 50s multikord pedal steel 6 string with 4 pedals. little old cheapie but it sounds great, the only problem is its definitely not built for the country licks the kids do now, its pedal mech is all sorts of unreliable and the whole steel moves around as you are playing it!

so my question is: what is the best all around vintage pedal steel? i'm not really thinking i'm gonna be a pro steel guy or anything and i'll probably never play the thing live, so i don't really need multiple necks although i'm realizing two necks tends to mean more stability. i'd prefer vintage but i want something that will really lend itself to recording. from the forums i've seen it looks like sho-bud doesn't have that pro a rep anymore? anyone have any more info or are we ALL newbies on this forum?

all i know is i'm definitely looking for one with a wrist rest, because my old multichord is the LEAST ergonomic thing i've ever played!

djetz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: the pedal steel thread

Post by djetz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best place online for steels, pedal or otherwise. It's like the OSG of steelers.

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:58 pm

djetz wrote:http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/index.php

Best place online for steels, pedal or otherwise. It's like the OSG of steelers.
those guys are too scary! the OSG comparison is pretty spot on...i've tried to distill their opinions before and gave up because they have their own lingo that an outsider like me will never understand! i did figure out that they don't respect my multikord a fine bit pretty fast! :whistle:

surely someone has a easy to understand comparison of the models' personality...(i.e. tele=twang, lespaul=sustain, rickenbacker=chime) you know?

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:05 pm

the other thing about that forum is their search function is so lax it doesn't really get you the info you need! if you put in a long string of words it STILL gives you 122 pages of unrelated posts!? weird