The Synth Thread...

All instruments that aren't guitars (or bass guitars).
brianjdc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Synth Thread...

Post by brianjdc » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:16 pm

I've been on a vintage digital synth kick lately. Grabbed an sy77, wavestation ex and a ts12 on the cheap. Needless I've been in ambient heaven.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:39 am

Last week, an opportunity to fulfill a dream crossed my way and I did the right thing:

I got this Moog Ethetwave Theremin for really cheap from an old hippie locally. When I picked it up, I told him I was into psychedelic rock. Now he keeps sending me messages now and then about Hawkwind, Amon Düül II, 432hz tuning, memories from back in the day and some hippie legends, all full of hidden hints at LSD. Totally worth it!

It's damn hard to play this thing at least somewhat in tune, though...

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:22 am

That is AWESOME Zork! I've always wanted a Theremin. The Moog Theremin is so classy looking too!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:22 am
That is AWESOME Zork! I've always wanted a Theremin. The Moog Theremin is so classy looking too!!
Yes it really is AWESOME! :D
I was looking for a Theremini because I thought it would be much more convinient in a live stage environment. Much easier to calibrate, no issues with changes in temperature, pitch correction... but the Etherwave came up for much less than the Thereminis go for usually and I just had to go for it.

I briefly had a Theremini before but sold it to fund another synth and I can say without a doubt: The Etherwave is the much more inspiring instrument. It's just something very special about it. The timeless design, the time you have to wait for it to warm up, the act of calibrating it to your body and the environment, how it reacts to the tiniest movements... Like you said: It's classy! This is really a very delicate and incredibly fine musical instrument.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:43 pm

Zork wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:31 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:22 am
Yes it really is AWESOME! :D
I was looking for a Theremini because I thought it would be much more convinient in a live stage environment. Much easier to calibrate, no issues with changes in temperature, pitch correction... but the Etherwave came up for much less than the Thereminis go for usually and I just had to go for it.

I briefly had a Theremini before but sold it to fund another synth and I can say without a doubt: The Etherwave is the much more inspiring instrument. It's just something very special about it. The timeless design, the time you have to wait for it to warm up, the act of calibrating it to your body and the environment, how it reacts to the tiniest movements... Like you said: It's classy! This is really a very delicate and incredibly fine musical instrument.
Had you ever played theremin before this/played one much? I really want one, but as much as it's not the original/classy type, I kinda like the idea of the Theremini since it's got the pitch correction, which can also be turned down/turned off. Because I'm gonna sound like shit when I first play it :D I went on Reverb after you posted this the other day, and one of the shops who have a brand new Theremini for sale offered it for like $60 off and I'm REALLY tempted, but also, I only want ONE Theremin.
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:05 pm

No, I haven't really played theremin before. I had the Theremini a few years ago but - like I said - sold it quickly. The pitch correction is a nice feature of the Theremini, especially since you can dial it in to the desired amount, it has just one huge flaw: You can't play vibrato if you use the pitch correction, which makes it kind of useless to me to be honest. To me, the vibrato is a major characteristic or a key element of the theremin sound.

However, the Theremini sounds really good, is calibrated very quickly and won't change it's field due to internal or external temperature changes, which makes it a good choice if you want to play live often. I feel like playing the theremin will require a lot of practice, no matter what model you choose.

I'd probably get the Theremini if in doubt: the price is okay, the sound is good, I like the design (a lot!) and being digital, it has a lot of practical advantages over the analog contenders. I feel like to me(!), the Etherwave is somehow more inspiring but I most likely wouldn't have bought one for the price they usually go for.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:32 pm

Zork wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:05 pm
No, I haven't really played theremin before. I had the Theremini a few years ago but - like I said - sold it quickly. The pitch correction is a nice feature of the Theremini, especially since you can dial it in to the desired amount, it has just one huge flaw: You can't play vibrato if you use the pitch correction, which makes it kind of useless to me to be honest. To me, the vibrato is a major characteristic or a key element of the theremin sound.

However, the Theremini sounds really good, is calibrated very quickly and won't change it's field due to internal or external temperature changes, which makes it a good choice if you want to play live often. I feel like playing the theremin will require a lot of practice, no matter what model you choose.

I'd probably get the Theremini if in doubt: the price is okay, the sound is good, I like the design (a lot!) and being digital, it has a lot of practical advantages over the analog contenders. I feel like to me(!), the Etherwave is somehow more inspiring but I most likely wouldn't have bought one for the price they usually go for.
I definitely understand the issue with being able to make it play vibrato. But you would (might?) be able to play with vibrato if you turned the pitch correction off?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:37 pm

Yes, if you turn pitch correction off you can play vibrato.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:37 pm

Zork wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:37 pm
Yes, if you turn pitch correction off you can play vibrato.
Interesting. Thanks for all the information Zork! It still may be a while before I get a Theremin, but I seriously want to mess with one so bad.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:10 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:05 pm
I ordered some server racks for the pedals themselves, and some rack rails so I can build my own rack/cabinet. I'm so excited to start messing with this it's not even funny.
So, how's it going with the project? :)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 am

Zork wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:10 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I ordered some server racks for the pedals themselves, and some rack rails so I can build my own rack/cabinet. I'm so excited to start messing with this it's not even funny.
Slow. I'm sure it's well-known how much I love my time in the garage making and fixing stuff. This year has been the busiest year of my life. And while there's a lot of good that's come out of it, I've spent an entire day and a half in the garage woodworking all year. I'm working this weekend, so I've got Wednesday and Thursday off, and am planning to at least get the rough cabinet cut to size and assembled. Then, I can slowly put it together and mount my pedals. We are down to a week and a half left before the wedding and honeymoon, and if it doesn't happen now, it won't until November.

Side note, I asked on my project thread, and I'm pretty much decided that I'm gonna put my pedals in a new order (by type of pedal, not by their usual use), to change it up and hopefully get some new inspiration too ;D

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:21 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 am
Zork wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Slow. I'm sure it's well-known how much I love my time in the garage making and fixing stuff. This year has been the busiest year of my life. And while there's a lot of good that's come out of it, I've spent an entire day and a half in the garage woodworking all year. I'm working this weekend, so I've got Wednesday and Thursday off, and am planning to at least get the rough cabinet cut to size and assembled. Then, I can slowly put it together and mount my pedals. We are down to a week and a half left before the wedding and honeymoon, and if it doesn't happen now, it won't until November.

Side note, I asked on my project thread, and I'm pretty much decided that I'm gonna put my pedals in a new order (by type of pedal, not by their usual use), to change it up and hopefully get some new inspiration too ;D
Is your project called Synths You’ve Been Gone?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:27 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:21 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:19 am
Zork wrote:

Is your project called Synths You’ve Been Gone?
It wasn't, but it might have to be now :D

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:47 pm

I've decided that I need a Korg Triton. I'll get one in a rack. It's not so much for the synthesis, but for the sampler.

My collection has been growing, at this point I have

Volca Keys
Volca sample 2
one of those Nutekt monosynths
a Boog
a JX-08
a glorious old Casio keyboard
a JV-1010
an RD-6
an SR-16
a DR-55 sound module sans drum brain that I built
a Kawai Q80
and a keystep pro controller. Oh, and a little cheap mixer for everything.

After the Triton and the UB-XA (whenever that finally arrives in the world), I reckon that'll be as much as I could ever want, since I can sample softsynth patches onto the Triton. The UB-XA is gonna have poly aftertouch... so awesome.

I've also totally restored a busted up old Macintosh SE, which I've just got a MIDI interface for and I'm going to use as a sequencer in addition to the Q80.
This is an excellent rectangle

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:48 am

Leaked via a Reverb ad yesterday but now has legit links.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardw ... ak/details

Microfreak with real keys and 6 voice polyphony. I got tired of waiting on behringers big analog polys so I preordered one of these.