NVGD

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NVGD

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:16 am

antisymmetric wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:16 pm
Yamaha SG2/3?
We have a winner ! :)
A white sg2

it is not pristine ,but i am not thinking is possible for a 55 years guitar ,more over a pristine one would be seriously more expensive
by the headstock decal i date it from 67 ,don't know if body haven't been repaint or not ? seems old and dirty also
i wait to have it but by the pics it seems complete as far i see ,miss one pickups (bridge one )screw* , springs for some saddle ,and tips for the vibrato arm
*maybe not easy to find also :fp:
the rarer parts like trem arm ,pickups ,knobs ,case are here ,i expect a refret needed by the way (i have 3 meter of vintage fret wire in the garage again )
as i recept it , will try it first to see the playability , if there is sound also ( by the advert it make me think the upper circuit was disconnected) and i think some cleaning is needed i have nothing against old guitar but i prefer them clean without lot of gunk

second choice of color then ,but my first choice sunburst was more or less 1900 euros :fp: and the third choice red i have miss was 1100 euros don't know if the case was with it ? but it is only color and all fit my taste in fact ;)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:38 am

Recept it today , i have to quit my work cause the delivery was at 12 h 00 and i finish a 14 h :fp: (the delivery was annonced between 8h to 18 h)
Then i can t miss the all day

I have otate the bull pack on the case ,and open quikly to see an awfull packaging with only news paper (it must cost a lot in japan cause there i s very little >:( )
First thing i saw was a screw ,it is one from the support of thé attach of thé case for the body ,after with the news paper pull out i found a guitar (ouf) in one pièce :whistle:
But dirty as hell dust plus case lining
I have look fast ,at first see no break,then i let in thé case just open a little to let it warm at thé temp at my living room
First thing strange i see was a nail in thé e bass tuner instead a screw :fp: :wtf: :o
will post some pics after for you to tell me if i have to be a little disapointed or not

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:10 am

damage du to poor packaging >:(
broken end of arm
du also by this things ,but it is not suppose to be bullet proof
there is this in the zip pocket
nail attack :fp:
and the only protection

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:13 am

Oh man it sucks that they packed it so badly and its got damaged :(

It all looks like it is fixable but shouldn't really have to repair a guitar because of shipping.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:48 am

I don t know what to do cause ,ok it is not pristine but the seller know how to photograph to avoid defect!
But the shipping package was shitty ,at minimum he could have put it in buble wrap in thé case or not be cheap for news paper
Then the strap lock damage could be avoid
He said to contact him before bad évaluation ,i will do cause it us not professional packing for me
Then also he haven t slaken the strings ,when i have try it was a horrible open tuning highter !maybe du to trem or it have been stocked like this
Sure it it vintage it smell badly the old ,i have pass my hoover in thé case and it is outdoor open cause it smell so bad :fp:
I will take it home in thé evening and close it ,tomorrow in thé sun open (if there is?) all thé afternoon ,can i use febreze ? Or it is risky ?
I have look at what miss
1 tuner screw (in place of thé nail)
1 pickups screw
Fews spring for the saddle
I have thé tip of thé arm who is broken in
Foam under pups
Need to look at thé upper circuit seems it was disconected
The 2 pups works also the lead wiring
Need new string also cause the rotten :k
Need new fret also but it is playable for now

Do you think i must inform him for the poor packaging ans ask a refund for the damage?or put an evualation who tell thé truth directly? This ways it will help futur buyer?
The damage is not really bad but if it have been avoid it will be better ,now need to reglue some wood in thé hole to reposition thé strap button straight

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:11 am

If none of that stuff was disclosed in the listing I would contact and try and get a partial refund for the damages. Thats quite a lot of stuff that is really not right and should have been made clear in the listing. If the sellers tried to hide that stuff with photo angles thats really not honest or good enough.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am

i have contact him principaly for the damage cause in the listing it is said ,all in pics then he will not tell but show(in not better pics but !) you have to extrapolate ,
i have saw the miss of pups screw (as i see is the miss of insert in the body too ), the springs saddle ,the arm without tips ,the fret are said to 60% but for a 55 years i know what to have (i have already know it will have to be refret ),if you forget this i have all the rare parts to find ,knob ,tuners ,trem ,saddle,case , ect ... i will investigate more tomorow to see if there is no hidden more things but overall i like it ,it sound cool ,need to mount new string ;) i have already put some guitar polish on to fight the bad smell ,it is better but it stink :wtf:
what bother me really is the nail ,and the unpackage well
let s wait his answer

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:52 pm

Spend the afternoon to clean up
I have oiled the fretboard ,tighten the truss rod ,hoove the all body inside ect...
Derust the métal part,bridge, saddle, roller ,tuners and i have pull up thé guard to look at thé wiring ,fast cause the guard béguin to shruck a lot :o
In less than one hour ,i put foam under thé pickups and mesure them
10k for neck 9,8 kfor bridge
The roller circuit is complete and not unsoldered maybe it is thé switch ? *;also i think i am thé one since fews years to have open it,the wiring ,pot ,ect seems all original,there is a little string to attach the wiring
* one thing i have to try is to unscrew the switch maybe the guard have shrunken so much then the 2 position of switch is not enough engage?

Not thé time to take pics ,next time i will open i screw the guard on a board to have time to work on the wiring not in hurry ,with the multimeter all wires are good

I have contact my seller ,he answer then will see
Tomorow a little cleaning outside and i put string and set up it to play it,i put 2 screws in place of thé 2 missing to wait the wright one

Tiny C
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tiny C » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:23 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:04 am
i have contact him principaly for the damage cause in the listing it is said ,all in pics then he will not tell but show(in not better pics but !) you have to extrapolate ,
i have saw the miss of pups screw (as i see is the miss of insert in the body too ), the springs saddle ,the arm without tips ,the fret are said to 60% but for a 55 years i know what to have (i have already know it will have to be refret ),if you forget this i have all the rare parts to find ,knob ,tuners ,trem ,saddle,case , ect ... i will investigate more tomorow to see if there is no hidden more things but overall i like it ,it sound cool ,need to mount new string ;) i have already put some guitar polish on to fight the bad smell ,it is better but it stink :wtf:
what bother me really is the nail ,and the unpackage well
let s wait his answer
I agree with you that the biggest issues are the nail and the poor packaging. It probably isn't cool to complain about everything that you aren't happy with, if those are things that you might reasonably expect on a vintage guitar (low frets, beat-up case, smell), but if a guitar has a nail holding a tuner in place that is something that should have been pointed out! And I would expect the seller to give a partial refund for whatever damage was caused by the poor packaging, like the broken trem arm.

Super cool guitar in the end though - congrats!

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 pm

Sorry for the difficulty - spoils the fun of a new purchase, I hope it gets better.
For the smell you could try putting some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) powder in the case and closing it. You can use a lot, it's cheap and doesn't harm anything.
Is the seller "product-japan" or a name like that? I've bought something from that name and they seem to just grab old rusty guitars and throw them in the mail without more than a quick check and a photoshoot. Can be a great way to pick up a cheap one, but a crapshoot.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:04 am

Thanks for the baking soda trick,will try ;)
You found the seller !i have a answer where is asking how much ? Then i think it is ok for partial refound ,but i don t know how much i can ask ?
For the nail ?
And thé shipping damage ?
This price was not outragous 750€ at first
But with fdp +taxes it become less cheap (but i know before buying )
I think i will ask 75 € for partial refound ;10% of thé price ,to be honest what do you think of it ? it offer me already 10 % for new buying ,but have refuse my offer before the buy of 15 %
i have to unbend the screw of the strap button ,and put some cyano to renforce the wood (mahogany at first sight)
I know i haven t buy a pristine one but it easy to see that is thé shipping who made thé damage ,on the listing thé side pics show a strap button straight and not push to thé body,and thé paint who is old ok but not arrach like now

For ref the listing
https://reverb.com/fr/item/48995603-yam ... ef-no-4338

As you could see it is not real clair ,the pics are oriented no real transparence (found the nail if you don t know ,for me it was just a rusty screw)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:11 pm

my seller offer a refund of 50 dollars it is not a lot but more than nothing and i don't want spend time on it :whistle: close the chapter
time to advance ;)
the story continu
made a big cleaning ,new string 10 52 roundwound ,oil parts ,set up ect .....
love this dark rosewood

doing a clodo tips for the arm ,i have an idea and if i have time tomorow i do a part to fit a fender tip and screw it on the broken arm
a m3 screw with a washer to have the pups secure to play during the time needed to have the right original thread one

a m2 screw for the tuner cover ,wrong head but works
felt washer for hiding the trauma

need to find something to otate the vinyle yamaha decal without damaging the finish (not fan of it )

then play it and surprise the upper circuit work ! :w00t: then it must be all the grims ,dust ect who made it unworking ,but need to open it soon cause the ground wire is cut between the body ground and the trem ,and also my selctor for lead circuit is silly ,it works but by moment i have the 2 pups but not the neck or the bridge alone

you know in french we said this old things is a" chipie",,i think she loves to make me become crasy ,cause the troubleappears the one after the all then i have to investigate at each time and ta da another one ,but i think for a 55 years guitar it is normal cause she haven't been played for years ;) then she plays with my nerve ;D :D

and the obligatory pics

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:21 pm

That felt washer is a nice & simple way of hiding the damage.

Good luck with the YAMAHA removal. I wonder if it'll leave "tan lines". It might actually look quite cool.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:02 pm

Sorry to hear about the shipping damage. There's nothing more frustrating than a careless seller. :fp:

FWIW, I love the red YAMAHA on there. I kinda hope it leaves tan lines. :)

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 pm

I really like the YAMAHA too, in fact this whole guitar is pretty awesome.