Jag and jazzy - were they used in recordings of Experience or BOG?

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag and jazzy - were they used in recordings of Experience or BOG?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:58 am

You could play my own guitars to me and if I couldn't see them I wouldn't be able to tell you what they are.

Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, the way the guitarist interacts with their own instrument is a huge factor, but really only for the guitarist and maybe a couple people in the recording/performance chain to some degree (not necessarily audible).

You have to think how many steps a guitar part goes through in any recording/mixing/mastering chain, to start with any amplifier changes the sound of a guitar in and of itself, not to mention the onboard effects (including EQ) applied at the amp itself. From there, any microphone will pick up different sounds to a degree, any recording environment changes what the microphones pick up to a degree, and that's all before we even get to the mixing console, before we get to mixing the guitar in with the rest of the recording, before we get to... well, a lot.

I'd say if you can tell that something is a Strat or whatever it's because someone really wanted you to know that more than anything else.

Some of those Big Star albums you can really hear the Fender sound, then again, Alex Chilton had a Firebird back in those days, can I really tell the difference between a Strat or a Firebird through a Deluxe Reverb on a recording? I bet I can't.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:06 pm

blacktiger wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:49 am
countertext wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:27 pm
I have never seen any reliable indication that anything other than a Strat was used on records until the Flying V showed up. I would love it if links to info would be posted here - I love learning new shit about Hendrix.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-h ... urple-haze
and in the context of last few comments - quote from above GW story:

“He only had one guitar at the gig – this Strat he was using – and he’d just broken it,” says Mayer. “So, on the way to Olympic, we had to dispatch Noel [Redding] off to get another one. I went in my own car, Jimi went with [Gerry] Stickells, and Noel went off in a taxi to get another guitar.”

The guitar in question was a Butterscotch Blonde Fender Telecaster, with Mayer commenting, “The Purple Haze solos were played on the upper part of the neck and Jimi wasn’t intending to use a vibrato, so it didn’t matter that it was a Telecaster.

“The sound of a Tele on the bridge pickup is similar to a Stratocaster in many ways. I mean, it’s not worlds apart if you’re playing in the upper register,” he added. “Plus, with the effects Jimi was using it would have been impossible to tell the difference.”

Unfortunately, there are no photographs of the solo recording session, so we’ll just have to close our eyes and imagine Hendrix wielding the single-cut six-string whenever we listen to Purple Haze from now on.

In other Hendrix news, Roger Mayer recently launched his own recreation of the original effect he made for Jimi, the Purple Haze Octavia.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:27 am

Yep, Telecaster story is well known. It would be interesting to try the limited edition Purple Haze Octavia. It sells for crazy price over 1000 us online. I don´t think it is worth and is any better than Octavia´s he made in ninetees..But maybe I am wrong.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:27 pm

5 Watt World has just posted an overview of Hendrix’s guitars. That channel is never really exhaustive - he’s obviously and admittedly an amateur historian - but it is a good video if you want a rundown of the guitars that have photographic documentation.