NVGD

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NVGD

Post by Nudger » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:32 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:18 pm
Nudger wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:54 pm
SignoftheDragon wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:52 pm

Or maybe, it's one of those holy-grail-level maple-board vintage ones?

Tell me more! This is new info to me..
Thread on it here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=116386
Thanks for the link
Intersting but basically bunch of peoples hunches.. While im sure that sometime somewhere someone comissioned a fender XII maple cap neck, I have yet to find a verified example..
While the bernard butler pic and robert smith XIIs both have maple necks, I can find no info on where the necks were made!?
Though its more plauseable that they are fender custom buit, its also possible that they were hand made "say" here in the UK, to replace a damaged neck..

You would think that an owner of such a rare bird "Maple neck Vintage XII" would have been showing it off somewhere on the net.. I know I would 8)

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:10 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:

Eager to find out more!
Here are two Curtis Novak replys to original owner..

Yes you can get a maple neck/fretboard
Here is the price breakdown $500 for a unfinished clean sanded neck $650 with nitro finish (gloss or relic) $700 with fender XII decal and finish.
As I said he used to be one of the main neck builders for the fender Custom shop.
He makes great necks

I am sorry for the delay I had punctured a hole through my foot and was down for some time, I will contact the 3 people working on the parts and see where they are at.
Remember these are all custom build ups not stock parts so it will take a little time.
thanks Curtis

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:11 pm

Nudger wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:10 am
SignoftheDragon wrote:

Eager to find out more!
Here are two Curtis Novak replys to original owner..

Yes you can get a maple neck/fretboard
Here is the price breakdown $500 for a unfinished clean sanded neck $650 with nitro finish (gloss or relic) $700 with fender XII decal and finish.
As I said he used to be one of the main neck builders for the fender Custom shop.
He makes great necks

I am sorry for the delay I had punctured a hole through my foot and was down for some time, I will contact the 3 people working on the parts and see where they are at.
Remember these are all custom build ups not stock parts so it will take a little time.
thanks Curtis
Those prices are making me weep! $700 for a paint-matchy logo'd XII neck??? MAKE ME A DOZEN!

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm

Nudger wrote:

TLDR: While a rosewood fretboard (veneer by that period) was the standard from 1959 onwards, some people really wanted a maple fretboard, and thus Fender, starting from 1964, began offering necks with maple fretboards. AFAIK it was never mentioned in any pricelist or catalog, so I have no idea how the acquisition worked. Where they made at random, where they made on order,... Those necks were built the same way as a regular neck with rosewood fretboard, so a separate piece of maple being glued to the front of the neck blank, hiding the trussrod channel. That means those necks do not have any visible filler woods in the headstock or back of the neck like the 1-piece necks of the 1950's and 1970's had.

Early maple-cap necks are very rare, but by 1966 they became a bit less rare, and not that uncommon by 1968. Hendrix' Woodstock strat was a maple-cap Strat, Dylan's "Judas-concert" Telecaster was a maple-cap Tele, Roger Glover played a maple-cap P-bass in the early days of Deep Purple, the famed "slab bass" that John Entwistle used, among other British musicians was with a maple-cap neck,...

But for some models, a maple cap neck is really rare. The Jaguar & Jazzmaster for instance are pretty rare to see with them... And then there are models for which they are pretty unique. The XII for instance, with only 2 known photographs of one.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:19 am

MrFingers wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:14 pm
Nudger wrote:

TLDR: While a rosewood fretboard (veneer by that period) was the standard from 1959 onwards, some people really wanted a maple fretboard, and thus Fender, starting from 1964, began offering necks with maple fretboards. AFAIK it was never mentioned in any pricelist or catalog, so I have no idea how the acquisition worked. Where they made at random, where they made on order,... Those necks were built the same way as a regular neck with rosewood fretboard, so a separate piece of maple being glued to the front of the neck blank, hiding the trussrod channel. That means those necks do not have any visible filler woods in the headstock or back of the neck like the 1-piece necks of the 1950's and 1970's had.

Early maple-cap necks are very rare, but by 1966 they became a bit less rare, and not that uncommon by 1968. Hendrix' Woodstock strat was a maple-cap Strat, Dylan's "Judas-concert" Telecaster was a maple-cap Tele, Roger Glover played a maple-cap P-bass in the early days of Deep Purple, the famed "slab bass" that John Entwistle used, among other British musicians was with a maple-cap neck,...

But for some models, a maple cap neck is really rare. The Jaguar & Jazzmaster for instance are pretty rare to see with them... And then there are models for which they are pretty unique. The XII for instance, with only 2 known photographs of one.
Thankyou for helping me join the dots :)
Im really chuffed that this neck is built to the same spec as a Vintage maple cap neck, even if we cant find any clear pictures of a 60s XII example.
I now feel my guitar is more of a vintage correct XII build and not just a cool take on a XII now that I know fender were doing maple cap necks back in the day.
"pics of neck"
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=125151