My new XII

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: My new XII

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 am

Posting this here as well since it seems like it got lost in another thread...

Anyone venture a guess why my XII is so buzzy?  It's actually noisier then one of my JMs but all the wiring looks perfect.  I couldn't find a single joint that looked as though it had been touched and all the grounds and non-grounds tested out perfectly. Heck, I'm not sure the pickguard had even made it off this guitar more then once or twice.  So anyway, Anyone know why the pickguard shield isn't grounded at all in this instrument?  Mine made more noise when I touched instead of the opposite so I've stuck a wire under the bridge and ran it along the body so when I put it back together it would touch the shield. .  That's the only thing I could find that seemed to help slightly

Interesting note...  one of the wires coming off the bobbin to the terminal had been shellac'd (or whatever the material is) into the screw hole so that touching the screw made all kinds of buzzing noise.  Just like touching the hot lead with your finger. That's fixed now as well.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 am

Pack it up and send it to me and I'll test it out for three or four years and maybe find the problem...  ;)

Dumb question maybe, but is the bridge ground in place?
Q. Are we not men?

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Bridge ground is firmly in place.  Like I said, it looked like the guard had rarely been cracked if at all and everything matched up to the schem and the pics Zhiv posted.

serial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by serial » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:05 pm

TV is overrated.  Here's your proof.
Destiny's in her evening gown; you're always running late.
You tell her she looks wonderful but she'll just have to wait.

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:00 am

Nice score!

The buzzing could be a broken pot - sometimes they just buzz when they worn out.... if you press down lightly on the volume or tone pot does the buzz go away or change at all? If so this could be your problem.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Good thought...  The volume pot was REALLY scratchy and barely working when I brought it home.  After some cleaning with contact cleaner and a lot of turning it works with almost no scratching but could possibly still be at fault.  I'll have to check later tonight. 

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:33 am

Nice one Jay. Looks fantastic.